welcome to spring-beware the water

Guppygirl

Welcome to spring :) - and spring runoff :( . Just a reminder that cities and towns are now adding all those chemicals-Chlorine/chlorimine(sp) in bigger amounts then normal to combat the spring runoff. I have especially noticed it in Grande Prairie- very strong smell/taste of chlorine. Not very tasty for us humans-but to be a fish swimming in it must be hell. So everyone might want to up their amounts of decholorinator to combat this yearly event. :thumbs:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can dechlorinate your drinking water as well.

Just a question for all you chemistry lovers out there, and of course I am going to do further studies into the whole topic. I have been told now by a couple different people that because of the minerals and hardness of Calgary's water, that you don't absolutely have to use dechlorinators here, because the chlorine isn't as harmful for the fish in say a place that has softer water. Even my boss doesn't use dechlorinators at all with our tanks at work, and all the fish still seem to be healthy and thriving, which sort of tests this matter. I know that during spring run off it is probably a good idea to use it for sure, but otherwise, is it really necessary? I personally use them at home, but would like to find out more into the matter to see about saving money if we don't need it. :)

Just a question for all you chemistry lovers out there, and of course I am going to do further studies into the whole topic. I have been told now by a couple different people that because of the minerals and hardness of Calgary's water, that you don't absolutely have to use dechlorinators here, because the chlorine isn't as harmful for the fish in say a place that has softer water. Even my boss doesn't use dechlorinators at all with our tanks at work, and all the fish still seem to be healthy and thriving, which sort of tests this matter. I know that during spring run off it is probably a good idea to use it for sure, but otherwise, is it really necessary? I personally use them at home, but would like to find out more into the matter to see about saving money if we don't need it. :)

The original "dummies" fishkeeper here. I do not use dechlorinator at all as I age my water. My very low tech theory is I can change up to half of a tank and use my aged water and match it with tap water. Keep in mind, that I'm a dummies fishkeeper so I don't keep anything too sensitive to water changes other than angels. Feel that I've never lost a fish due to a water change if anything due to lack of water changes. As for minerals, hardness etc., I'm the wrong person to ask.

It has been done and has been said by many hobbyists that a 25% water change can be done safely without declorinaters. However, as serious hobbyists on this forum, weather a newby or one with 50 years experience.

Why would we even take the chance of stressing or possibly losing our fish to test the theory. I know I do keep some very sensative fish, so I do use prime as I do 25% to 50% water change every week depending on the tank.

Like Jerry stated. It's cheap insurance. So why try and cheap out.

Two years ago my town used too much chlorine and had high ammonia in the water,due to spring complications. I found this out when I did a water change in my tanks and lost about $1000 worth of fish. I contacted the town about what happened and go figure 2 days later a boil water advisory was put in place!! So now I always use Prime! Here was the damage...

Edited by t-man

The chlorine in Edmonton water is not the issue, as it will evaporate. However the chloramine they use will not.

I have been told now by a couple different people that because of the minerals and hardness of Calgary's water, that you don't absolutely have to use dechlorinators here, because the chlorine isn't as harmful for the fish in say a place that has softer water.

I don't believe that water hardness, or mineral content, have anything to do with the effect of chlorine on fish. Chlorine not only affects the gills of the fish but it will also kill the nitrifying bacteria in your bio-filter. Chlorine is harmful to all aquatic organisms, even in small doses, and even if you can't see the results via the naked eye. It's like saying that a little bit of second hand smoke won't hurt a baby.

Chlorine dissipates as it runs through the water mains, and depending on where you are situated from the source in your town/city, and how much water you remove at each water change, you 'might' be able to go without adding a water conditioner. Chlorine dissipates fairly easily, and if you spray your water into your tank on a re-fill you will also allow approx 50% of the chlorine to dissipate out of solution. This is exactly why some people can get away without using a water conditioner in certain areas of a city or district, and others experience a loss of life if/when they forget to add a conditioner.

Also some species are more sensitive to chlorine than others, just as some fish are more sensitive to ammonia compared to other species.

I would strongly suggest testing your water with a high quality chlorine test kit, before attempting to perform water changes without a proper conditioner. (or use aged water such as what fishclubgirl does) If you only have to deal with chlorine, the most cost effective manner to neutralize chlorine is by using bulk sodium thiosulfate.

http://www.syndel.com/Sodium-Thiosulfate-P51C9.aspx

A teeny tiny fraction of the cost of Seachem Prime, and what most large scale commercial operations use.

If you have chloramine in your local water supply (such as in Edmonton & Red Deer) there's really no getting around using a water conditioner such as Prime, ClorAm-X, etc. (which breaks the chlorine/ammonia bond, and neutralizes the ammonia) Chloramine can retain it's full strength for several weeks, and in some cases even a 25% water change with no conditioner can cause a serious loss of life.

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle and don't even use thermometers in most of my tanks. If I was a "newbie" to the hobby, I would be discouraged by all the testing,etc. Our goal is to encourage others to continue with the hobby. My goal is to help others realise that they can keep fish and have a healthy tank without a lot of expensive chemicals or equipment. Therefore that's why I don't use Prime or any other chemicals in my tank water. However should chloramine be added to Calgary's water, I will be the first to use an additive. Please do keep in mind that I have kept fish for many years and do remember corner filters and going to Super S on the bus!!

While I agree wholeheartedly with the KISS principle, unfortunately when one has to deal with hundreds, or perhaps thousands of gallons of water changes each week, using aged water is usually out of the question.

The vast majority of water conditioners that are currently on the market are every bit as safe as the chemicals that are already flowing through our tap water. Some of them, such as sodium thiosulfate have been in the hobby longer than most people on this forum have been alive, have withstood the test of time, and are actually very inexpensive if purchased in bulk.

IMO the key is understanding exactly how these chemicals interact with your local tap water, what the advantages & potential disadvantages are, and learn to embrace them for the value they can bring to your aquarium.