skynoch

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

600 bucks a month is a lot of loot.. what the heck are they eating

18 adult rays are real pigs.lol They eat around 2 pounds of shrimp a day, plus worms , plus pellets , plus minnows and some other treats.

Babies don't count. :huh:

I'll try and post up some pics of my collection over the next weeks. I'd like to really build up some intrest in this section since I think there is alot of people interested or allready have rays and could share alot. I'm allready active on another forum with rays and see alot of the same people from there that can share alot on here. I've had some great people help me with rays on my way up (rudy and african fever) and want to return the favour to other members.

BTW would love to see everybody's collectons on here I know there is some stunners!

• 2 weeks later...
How active are these kind of rays? and what do they eat.

All of the rays are very active and some are constantly doing something. They like to play in the filter outlets, bubblers or different currents. If there not doing that they are usually sifting thru the substrate for food. If you put a ray in too small of a tank it may remain more inactive.

As far as food goes it will depend on the ray. Earthworms,blackworms,bloodworms,shrimp,shiners (minnows),squid,oyster,clams,crayfish,pellets(carnivore,massivore,sinking gold, and a variety from nls) and a whole lot more. Shrimp or pellets is the cheapest in bulk to buy but you can net your own minnows and freeze them also you can gather worms from an unfertilized area.

Motoros are one of the easiest rays to keep.

If I was to build a plywood tank for a male and female motoro ray and Two fire eels what would the perfect dimensions be?

You could get away with a 8'L x 4'W x 2'H for a minimun for life for sure, but I think 30"H is better. My females vary alot in size so you may be able to go smaller but just in case they get big this is what I'd say.

If I was to build a plywood tank for a male and female motoro ray and Two fire eels what would the perfect dimensions be?

You could get away with a 8'L x 4'W x 2'H for a minimun for life for sure, but I think 30"H is better. My females vary alot in size so you may be able to go smaller but just in case they get big this is what I'd say.

Just out of curiosity what would be a good tank size for one ray?

The demensions work for 1-3 motoros. Rays aren't territorial so the space is just for there movement and to be able to maintain water quality. If you went with a drip system on that tank you could possibly house 4 or 5 depending on size. Another option is hystrix,scobina or a rectic which you could use a 7' x 3' x 2' or maybe a little smaller. The downside is scobina and hystrix are hard to find and a rectic can be a picky eater.

Edited by skynoch

Can you house 2 males or 2 females together or would they fight. I just dont want them to breed is all since I wouldnt have another tank to put the pups in.

No problem sticking 2 of the same sex together they really aren't aggresive to each other. Males stay quite abit smaller than females. If you do end up with a pair that breeds for you, you can allways float a laundry basket in your tank for the babies till they can be sold and that way the bottom is till open for the adults.