New reef tank at Gold's!

albert_dao

I'll get em up as soon as my roommate finds his camera!

It's about as elaborate (stock-wise) as you can get for any beginner just looking to get into the hobby but wanting something interesting enough to be a conversation piece in their home. The real beauty of reef keeping is that the actual mechanics of the tank are minimal. Everything just works as long as you know what you're doing.

The common misconception of saltwater is that it's hard. I like to look at it this way: If someone tells you saltwater is difficult, keeping in mind that there's thousands and thousands of people all over north america that do it at an advanced level on average budgets, that someone must have been doing things wrong.

The only problem I see is that the initial setup cost is like 3 to 4 times greater than a freshwater tank. Things like a skimmer, live rock, live sand, filtration, expensive lights, ro unit and salt mix all add up. But I do agree they look kick @$$.

IMG_0685cc.jpg

Okay, I know it's been a while, but here's the pic I promised. I had a lot more, but they all came out looking kinda funny due to the light. Also, the tank looks a little different now because some of the LPS pieces have been replaced by SPS corals.

Enjoy!

ReefTank.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention the technicals on this baby.

33 Gallon tank

2 802 Aquaclear powerheads

Remora skimmer

Aquaclear 500 with a refugium retrofit

Coralife Dual PC canopy with "moonlights"

Just curious, what would a set-up like this cost, never done salt I have a 33 gal doing nothing so my curiosity is getting the better of me maybe I will give it a try,

A full blown, elaborate set up could cost you thousands. Something like this will probably run you roughly $1000 assuming you don't have the tank or anything. Mind you, most people spend that money in $50 increments. I just happened to have the luxury of store stock being on hand and unlimted budget.

To be fair though, assuming you have the tank, filter and stand, a take home package for the first two weeks would be roughly $200. You're looking at the salt, substrate, hydrometer, additional powerhead and some live rock.

Really, I think the investment is worth the conversation piece.

Aquaclear 500 with a refugium retrofit?? Please elaborate, sounds very interesting!!

It would be easier if I took pictures. I'll try to get those up as soon as I have time. Premise is simple though. You're pretty much walling off a section in the AC 500 to plant macro algaes and allow all the bugs and worms a place to breed without threat of predation.