Algae help.

t.j.t

I have a 90 galon tank. Its only housing 2 discus and 4 rosey barbs and 10 oto's. I dont have Co2 but i have a coralife 4x65w housing unit. it has 2 6700k bulbs and 2 10000k bulbs. im pretty sure this is from overlighting so ive turned off the 2 10000k bulbs.

I guess is there anything i can do other then get Co2 to correct this problem? is having 6700k bulbs going to help correct this or maybe make this worse(should i turn the 10000k on instead maybe?)

Its a dark green almost green/blue. its not hairy looks more like a velvet texture. Its basicly growing over all the gravel thats exposed too the light, any gravel under a plant is clear of this.

Any help would be great if i should pick it out or maybe just go get Co2.

Thanks.

Ill post a picture tonight.

Is it growing over top of the gravel or are the pieces of gravel turning green? Does the algae come off in sheets if you rub it? If it does it could be Cyanobacteria, also known as Blue green algae.

http://naturalaquariums.com/plantedtank/0608.html

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q...sa=N&tab=wi

Sounds like cyanobacteria to me. If it is I would highly suggest cleaning as much out as you can, then doing a 4 day blackout period covering the entire tank with black garbage bags, and increase the airation in the tank. As the bacteria dies it will decrease oxygen levels, and it doesn't grow as well when you have sufficient oxygen going. Then after 4 days take everything off and do another good water change.

Is it growing over top of the gravel or are the pieces of gravel turning green? Does the algae come off in sheets if you rub it? If it does it could be Cyanobacteria, also known as Blue green algae.

http://naturalaquariums.com/plantedtank/0608.html

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q...sa=N&tab=wi

Yeah that sounds and looks just like it, it only grows on the exposed gravel and rocks that are in the light, my plants are growing well and the gravel under the plants are all clean so does it sound like its from too muhc lighting? i just cut back to the 2 6700k bulbs.

I just cleaned my tank, and did a 50% WC. Im going to go ahead with the plastic bags on the aquarium for 4 days too see if that helps.

I put a powerhead in the tank that breaths bubbles into it and also raised my spray bar above the water level in the tank to help with gas exchange. I hope this helps.

Ive also left my 1w moon light on in the tank so its not compleatly black, i hope this is ok.

Is there anything i should keep an eye on or suggestions people have. Or is this as simple as leave the tank for 4 days(feed fish) and then it will be gone when i remove the garbage bags? will there be lots of "waste" in the tank once these stuff die's?

Thanks for the help. I also picked up a Red Sea Co2 injection system so once im done with this black out period ill hook it up too the tank.

Edited by t.j.t

well if that doesn't work i'd move the small amount of fish you have into another tank with the filters and then use some sort of anti bacterial killer to get rid of the bacteria in the tank. then once it's gone get rid of the anti bacteria stuff with a couple of water changes and then put the fish and filters back in. I don't see how doing this could hurt the plants. I'm definatly NOT an expert i just think this might work but is much more work than the first recommendation.

Good luck

L

Are you adding any fertilizer?

The cause of most algae outbreaks is due to lack of nutrients - usually CO2. Adding CO2 will help.

THe best way to completely get rid of BGA is doing what you've done (50% WC and 4-day blackout... do another 50% WC after the blackout), and if you're fertilizing add KNO3 for the blackout (1-day's dosage if using the Estimative Index).

Don't feed the fish during the blackout. I probably wouldn't use the moon lights, don't worry they will be fine :). I have had to do this before. Or you can get a medication that treats cyanobacteria, they sell one for red slime used in marine tanks, it is good for fresh water as well. It doesn't leave much of a mess but the dying bacteria uses alot of oxygen. This is why you will want to increase airation. Plants don't photosynthesis without the sun or light, and they too can release CO2 back into the water.

Edit: Your plants will be fine too

Edited by firestorm

I'm one of those people who don't like throwing antibiotics at every little thing, so IMO, that would be a last resort. It won't hurt the plants, but all the bacteria in the filter, etc. will take the hit.

Went with the black out for 4 days method. I put some ferts into the water, i must have been confused as i thought extra light/ferts is what caused algae break outs. I didnt realize ferts would help fight the algae.

Anyways funny short i bagged up my tank last night, went to work this morning got home a couple hours ago and noticed light comming from the TANK. I realized i turned my lights onto another setting that they came on today anyways... so anyways ive started my 4 day black out period TODAY

once this is over and i get my injected co2 into the tank this weekend i hope to be able to get some ground covering plants. Ive always liked the look of plants covering the gravel but never had any luck with DYI Co2 and ground plants.

Haha, sorry for laughing, but I probably would forget about my lights too because they are on a timer. Stacey is right though, the antibacterial's will also kill all the bacteria in the filter, so it is best to use as a last resort. I guess if your tank it well planted enough you don't have to worry about that so much, or if wanting to go the med way you will want to keep a seeded sponge in another filter on another tank if you can, then swap them out once the treatment is done and you have carbon in the filter. Good luck, keep us posted :)