New in Town

Cyreen

Hi - I'm the current owner of the giant plakat you see to your left, named Whyo. While I've kept Betta before, Whyo is a bit of learning curve for me. He currently resides in a heated 2.5 gallon tank, which he may very well outgrow - we'll see. About a week ago he got really listless and pale, but a couple daily water changes and a little extra aquarium salt and he's back up to speed. I would, however, like to keep a basic broad spectrum antibiotic on hand for future reference and was hoping for some recommendations.

Welcome fellow betta-ite! lol.

when i had bettas i swore by the 'Betta Revive' by Hikari. it has methylyne blue and malachite green, so it is sure to stain your silicone! lol. this product works great for fin rot, trust me.

i would give Whyo a bigger tank now, instead of waiting for him to get too big for the current one. a 10 gallon would take up just a lil more room than what he is in now, as well as have room for a tankmate or two (snails, etc) if he will tolerate them.

if you want, i have a 10 gallon for sale, with lid and accessories (but no stand). PM me if you are interested.

And Wingin it, did you pick up the betta revive for a particular problem your betta has, or just to have meds on hand if needed?

Nope, had a problem, but we seem to have conquered that - just want to have something on hand in case of emergencies (she says, knowing how quickly things can go south with fishies).

Whyo and I currently share desk space in my home office. I actually downgraded to Betta for the convenient weekly cleanings from a 10 gallon community tank in the past because I discovered I wasn't that fond of the maintenance - especially considering the other critters requiring attention (i.e. two cats, a dog, and... a Rock Dove a.k.a. flying rat). A regular Betta in a 2.5 is okay, Whyo might require a 5 gallon, but that's it. The offer of the tank is appreciated anyway - thank you! :)

And Wingin it, did you pick up the betta revive for a particular problem your betta has, or just to have meds on hand if needed?

Picked up the Betta Revive just in case, it seems that every time I try to breed my Bettas they end up with a fungal infection after the fighting, though this last time it was "Wham Bam Thank You Mam!" so there's probably no need for it this time thankfully! Since i've been back into fish I have aquired a "meds" drawer which is so much more handy to have than to have to keep going to the store! I am my own store now...lol

Nope, had a problem, but we seem to have conquered that - just want to have something on hand in case of emergencies (she says, knowing how quickly things can go south with fishies).

Whyo and I currently share desk space in my home office. I actually downgraded to Betta for the convenient weekly cleanings from a 10 gallon community tank in the past because I discovered I wasn't that fond of the maintenance - especially considering the other critters requiring attention (i.e. two cats, a dog, and... a Rock Dove a.k.a. flying rat). A regular Betta in a 2.5 is okay, Whyo might require a 5 gallon, but that's it. The offer of the tank is appreciated anyway - thank you! :)

Whyo is different from your average betta as he's a giant. The supplier I got my giants from, informed me that giants need more space and are better in tanks. Mine are plakats too so are pretty good swimmers and seem to be quite happy in a community tank. Mine are all in community tanks and the smallest is in a 10 gallon tank. IMHO, you might want to put him in larger tank.Just have to ask ,where did you get Whyo from?

• 2 weeks later...

Whyo is a pretty energetic little swimmer too - found him at Big Al's. I'm waiting to see how much bigger he gets before I invest in a bigger tank. From what I understand "giant" Betta can come in different purities. He seems to have stalled out, but I also understand he could continue to grow and gain bulk for the first 18 months.

• 3 weeks later...