Arowana and stingray compatibility?

turtlechick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard it through the grapevine that these 2 were compatible.....

I have a custom made 72"X36"X20" tank coming to me in 2 weeks....I would like to know what I can plan for in the future for little buddies :-)

yes arowanas and stingrays are compatible. in your size tank, your options for arowanas are limited. Jardini would be a good fit but they are very aggressive. Silvers get to big for your tank. maybe someone else can add there two cents.

Jardini I heard may be to aggresive with rays. All others are okay but make sure there as big as the ray is wide. You may be taking a chance with a big ray and small aro. I'm keeping needlenose gar with 18"+ rays and no problems yet. When your rays are well fed they tend to leave tank mates alone more.

There is the odd ray that just likes to kill so anytime you add a tankmate just watch carefully for awhile. Also as Dustin said the silver may get to big for your tank.

I'm not sure but Mike may have a Jardini with his rays so he could answer this better than me.

Edited by skynoch

I think that a bigger problem is putting a aro on a 224 gallon tank. On most websites the recommended minimum size is 230 gallons. I think 300+ for arowanas.

just my two cents again :)

also is the tank 20'' or 36'' wide?

Edited by rED O

I have a custom made 72"X36"X20" tank coming to me in 2 weeks....I would like to know what I can plan for in the future for little buddies :-)

I've got a silver aro and some large bichers (Endli and ornate) :thumbs: in with my rays as well as a clown knife.

I've got a silver aro and some large bichers (Endli and ornate) :thumbs: in with my rays as well as a clown knife.

I would love to try some bichers but my tank bottoms are carpeted with rays. How big are yor rays and bichers?

I also have a clown with mine. My small rays are kept with discus. My favourite tankmate I think so far are fronts.

There is a huge list of possible tank mates but it's up to the individual ray and tank size to see if it'll work.

My tank is going to be 240 gallons. 72 long, 36 wide and 20 high.....getting it custom made by Mitch at Bow Valley in Calgary. "Tanks" for the input LOLOL ohhhh that never gets old.....the rays are going to be a little while away anyways. I want the tank set up and running for at least 2 months before I even think about putting anything in. Rays first, then mates:-)

My tank is going to be 240 gallons. 72 long, 36 wide and 20 high.....getting it custom made by Mitch at Bow Valley in Calgary. "Tanks" for the input LOLOL ohhhh that never gets old.....the rays are going to be a little while away anyways. I want the tank set up and running for at least 2 months before I even think about putting anything in. Rays first, then mates:-)

sorry to burst your bubble but 72x36x20 is only 224.4155844 gallons

She has tons of swimming room in there for an Arrowana. Theres 18 square feet of swimming room in that tank. Dont worry about gallons worry more about the foot print of aquariums.

My mistake. No need to be snippy about it..... :boxed:

More than enough swimming room I believe.....

Edited by turtlechick

What kinda Aro's should I be researching? That'll also be a new venture for me :-)

sorry, I did not mean to sound snippy...

for arowanas, what are you willing to spend? They are not cheap. In that size of a tank, its to small for a silver arowana for life. A jardini is most likely to aggressive for the rays but I have seen it done but its not with out risks.

Your best bet for size would be a RTG or a green I would say. But its all about how much you want to spend and what your budget is like.