Arowana and stingray compatibility?

turtlechick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard it through the grapevine that these 2 were compatible.....

I have a custom made 72"X36"X20" tank coming to me in 2 weeks....I would like to know what I can plan for in the future for little buddies :-)

I've got a silver aro and some large bichers (Endli and ornate) :thumbs: in with my rays as well as a clown knife.

I would love to try some bichers but my tank bottoms are carpeted with rays. How big are yor rays and bichers?

I also have a clown with mine. My small rays are kept with discus. My favourite tankmate I think so far are fronts.

There is a huge list of possible tank mates but it's up to the individual ray and tank size to see if it'll work.

My rays and bichers are both 14 inches clowns about ten. I'm not sure about the green aro but chilli reds go for 2800+ from what i've seen in the stores.

Skipping the middle man (the local Pet Store) and going right o an importer will save you alot of money. The Aros have come down in price too due to the fact there is a new "lucky" fish for the chinese. Its some sort of cichlid with black marking on its side. The closer to resemblance to chinese lettering the more money it is.

Turtlechick - First off your tank is plenty big enough for a single arowana. In Asia many adult aros are kept in tanks much smaller than that. With regards to price, the price of aros are based on the species, the color variant, and the quality, no matter who you buy from. Many LFS import direct from the farms, so there is no more a 'middleman' than if one is dealing with any other type of importer, via the "group buy" process, or whatever. No one is buying & selling these fish for the good of their health. One LFS here in Canada is actually part owner of a farm in Singapore, so obviously he isn't dealing with any middleman. He also has the luxury of having one of his partners hand pick each fish that is exported (no matter what farm the fish originates from), so the quality control is about as good as it gets. Also, unlike buying directly from a "broker", if you don't like the fish, you don't have to buy it! No money paid up front, no risk involved.

The Flowerhorn fad (which has already faded in parts of Asia) has no bearing on the price of an arowana. Prices in some aro markets have come down in recent years due to supply & demand, with today's market having more CITES approved commercial farms compared to several yrs ago. Also, there are farms that are selling low quality specimens for low prices, which ultimately does affect the entire trade to a degree. I recently saw a photo where a broker was posting pics of a farms juvenile red aros, and even to my old eyes it was obvious that the farm had those fish under *red* color enhancing lights when the pics were taken. IMO a rather dubious manner in which to present ones fish.

The reality is a high quality specimen still demands a very high price, but "show quality" aros seldom find their way to Canada, as the most serious buyers are found in Asia. The Japanese seem to have the market cornered for the cream of the crop, and are willing to pay 10K+ for the right piece. That type of market simply doesn't exist in Canada. That's not to say that you can't get a very nice aro in Canada, but unless you actually get to see the fish before you lay down your money, you roll the dice & you take your chances. I have seen people pay good money for super reds & crossbacks, only to find that when they pick their fish up it has already developed PLJ, drop eye, or both. In those cases they either pass on the fish (and lose their deposit) or they accept the quality of the fish & accept the faults of the fish.

The bottom line is the price of an aro is going to depend on how much you are personally willing to spend, what quality of aro you are personally going to be happy with, and if buying sight unseen, how much you are willing to gamble.

HTH

I don't know your financial situation but if Mitch is building your tank you have plenty of time to save. IMHO the best type of arowana to get if you are on a budget of less than $1000 is a High back red-tailed golden. It's basically an upgraded RTG. The shine, or gold color, in the scales just goes up higher than in a normal RTG. It doesn't cross the back like a crossback is supposed to but has very high shine. Some are even nicer than the much higher priced XB.

You can get very good quality XB and super reds for under $2000. I paid $1800 for my XB and $2300 for my SR. I know Wayne (letsgofishin) paid less than $2000 for his SR and so far its growing much better than mine. I had the opportunity to buy either fish and I chose the larger of the 2. His is now much larger than mine . Even if you see the fish and choose the one you want you don't always end up with the best fish. SR's are the pickiest eaters.

I ,personally, wouldn't buy a green because you'll just end up wishing you spent the extra $200 on an RTG. If you do want a green because $$ is an issue then check out http://www.dreamfish.com.sg/merlionemarl.htm. If you want a green or any of their other fish contact Jay at http://www.arovillage.ca/.

BTW its best choose the fish you like based on the merits of the fish and not the farm it comes from.

Edited by RDFISHGUY

I tell ya, I'm getting pretty excited about getting this tank....and now about the Aro....

But, can you please clarify the short versions of the names for me? I'm trying to research as fast as everyone's answering, but every time someone writes a short form of a name, I have to run and check google for the pics and full name LMAO what a NEWB I am :bang1:

I am soooo excited to start this!!!! Friday's too far away.....