Ducks

nyb440

Hello,

This week I discovered that ducks are truly horrid things to have invade your backyard pond. Not only do they leave an incredible amount of "deposits" in a very short amount of time, they dig in the plant pots destroying the plants and making a mess. I now have a net over the pond, which I hope I won't need for the entire summer (I'm hoping this pair of ducks gets the hint over the next little while).

Has anyone here successfully discouraged ducks from their pond? Any suggestions (ones that don't require ammunition)?

Edited by nyb440

Yappy dogs work great. I have two of them and nothing comes in our yard without them sounding the alarm. We saw a large bird flying over our yard just after I put the Koi in the pond. I think it was a Heron, probably looking at my Koi for lunch. My dogs were out in the yard barking at squirrels, and we have not seen that bird since.

Thanks for the ideas. We don't have any yappy (or non-yappy) dogs, and the cat stays indoors, so there won't be any help from the family fauna. I like the fishing line idea. So far, the netting seems to be working, and does catch leaves, which seems to be a nice side benefit.

There is the "scare crow", a motion detector with the water hose attached and will spray a jet of water at anything near it - ducks, cats, dogs, herons, raccoons, you...

I find if there is a big enough fish (goldfish, koi, carp, etc) the ducks/seagulls fly away as the fish try to "sample" their legs...

• 2 weeks later...

Duck Pah!!

We had Pelicans flyover the house at the weekend in Sherwood Park!!

PELICANS!!! I thought they lived in Miami

they seem to to happy at the lake in Festival place but its another thing to worry about if and when I get a my Koi pond!!

Felix

PELICANS!!!!

I don't know anything about ponds and duck problems. To the reply about pelicans-Alberta does has pelicans. You see them on lakes such as Stony Lake near Elk Point in eastern Alberta. When camping flocks would swoop in and rest on the lake. Hope your duck problems resolve themselves quickly.