Tang Community Tank

Fishful Thinking

In a tank that size, it may not be a problem; but, I've seen Calvus and Comps, as well as Julies, get nasty when there's more than a pair. You may have to convince Mrs. FishfulThinking that you will probably need a spair tank or two incase things get out of hand.

It sounds like a great set up, but as Jason stated you may want to stick to a single pair for some species, or deal with attempting to try & catch & remove problem fish (or dead ones) down the road. I've only kept gobies briefly in the past, but as I recall if a pair is formed the others will also be brutilized by the bonded pair.

Just something to think about before you start adding larger groups of certain species.

Interesting. I've heard several times of people keeping 6 or so calvus or compls in a "community tank".

Hey Greg, I just got my fronts today, after you see them, you may very well want a Frontosa tank. :D

Boom :boom:

You may have to convince Mrs. FishfulThinking that you will probably need a spair tank or two incase things get out of hand.

Which may just lead to our divorce! :rofl:

It sounds like a great set up, but as Jason stated you may want to stick to a single pair for some species, or deal with attempting to try & catch & remove problem fish (or dead ones) down the road.

Couple of questions, Neil. Would the shell-dwellers be on that list of fish to just aim for a single pair with? Which option would you recommend for single pairs of species--developing the pairing outside the tank and moving the pair into the 360, allowing a pair to develop in the 360 and moving the others out after or putting two fish in the tank and if they do not pair up at least they won't kill each other (hopefully).

Hey Greg, I just got my fronts today, after you see them, you may very well want a Frontosa tank. :D

Congrats, Ryan. I look forward to seeing some pics up soon!

Other question:

Also, if I got in on the Spencer order and picked up 6 juli. regani, 5 brevis and 6 meleagris, could I place any of these in with my 90 chimba juvies tank while I wait for the 360 to be built? I have a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon as well.

Thanks for all of the help, everyone. The more I think about this tank the more I am looking forward to it!

Greg, I've never kept shell dwellers, so it might be best to ask Jason that question. Personally I would opt for ........ developing the pairing outside the tank and moving the pair into the 360 - which is much easier than attempting to catch small fish in a tank that size if/when things don't work out. If you have enough territory laid out for each species, in a tank that size you might not have any problems with more than one pair of some of those species (gobies, julies, etc) or you may end up with some of the outcasts being in a constant state of stress. With approx 40 trophs going into that tank I would try & keep the stress/illness level as low as possible.

Thanks for the help, Neil.

Here is a more updated list:

- 44 tropheus (even split between chimba and kiriza)

- 12 petricolas

- 8 multipunctatus

- 2 BN

- 2 julies (pair)

- ___ brevis

- ___ meleagris

Alright, shell-dweller fans, how many of the last two species could this footprint handle?

Well, I've decided to order in 6 julidichromis regani "kipili" and 6 `Lamprologus` ocellatus (Gold). It will be fun growing them out over the summer. I decided to only go with one shell dweller to free up more of the footprint space in the tank, and the possibility that the six of them might have enough room to survive together. Thanks for all of the help, everyone.