Canadian moss balls

Baos

I was at a lake today and I believe we found some native north American growing moss balls. We found lots scattered accross a beach both dry and living. Any input? I'm considering putting them in my aquarium.

HPIM2632.jpg

i'd be worried about pesiticides and such that might be in these 'canuck balls'. also, if they are composed of algae the way a marimo is, is the algae going to behave the same way or will the balls cause an algae outbreak in your tank?

i'd try them in a tank with no livestock in it, so as to not pose any potential danger to any of your finkids.

We ripped them apart on the beach and found basically the same makeup as marimo. The algae is slightly different in colour and the water they came out of based on my really really old ph test was about 9.4

I checked some scientific info on the lake, 8.8 – 9.2 is the ph range for this lake. The lake is known for very clear algae free water and although it's water source has high amounts of nutrient the lake never tests high for nutrients. Maybe we know why now =)

I would definitely QT them first to be sure any parasites or bugs are no longer in them. I say give it a try in a separate tank for them for a while :)

Maybe increase the salinity with regular table salt to aggitate any parasites and related...?

I would isolate them in a tank with no plants or fish for about 2 months. We had those at our old lake property (ph of about 8), they do great, but can harbour a small (worm?) which can get into other plants roots and (melt?) them - the plants came back, but it was a quarantine tank with low doses of copper which suspect killed the plant parasite.

They clear up cloudy water and out combat algae like a dream though. I lost mine when my one tank crashed while I was on holidays - I may have to go get more...