Methylene Blue

African_Fever

I had trouble finding meth blue a while back too. I was told that the company that makes it was unable to send anything to canada for some reason (ask Rob from animal world, that is what he said). I checked with various lfs and all said they couldn't get it anymore. I even checked with the pharmacist and the local Dr. and the hospital in case they use a product like that...no luck. I was told to ask the guy that owned Allowance Pets in Med Hat as he stocked up and had a supply. I never did get around to it...but since that store is no longer in business that option is gone.

Hey Kyle,

I have some. It is still used in the hospitals to treat methemoglobinemia. This is occasionally caused by local anesthetic agents such as lidocaine.

Methemoglobinemia occurs when the ferrous ion in the iron of our hemoglobin is oxidized to the ferric state rendering it useless in oxygen transport. A rather serious situation. I believe I read that high levels of nitrites in your water can cause the same thing to occur in fish. Methylene blue accelerates the reduction of metHb back to its useful ferrous state.

I work at Foothills Hospital and got my hands on a bottle that had apparently expired. Not certain how that affects it. You can have it if you would like to come get it. PM me.

David.

P.S. I would think that hospitals or labs in Medicine Hat carry it, it is just rather seldom used and likely hard to get. It comes in an aqueous solution of tetramethylionine chloride trihydrate 1%. It is also used as a bacteriologic stain and as a dye for certain diagnostic procedures.

Edited by Nyasa

I have my Synodontis petricola spawning for me now, and I've removed the eggs to another tank (they are egg scatterers and will eat their own eggs). I was looking for some means to help prevent the eggs from getting fungused, but it looks like it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Only about 4-5 eggs fungused before they hatched, and as of right now it looks like I have about 14-16 little wigglers in my tank.