My Backyard Pond/Waterfall Build

MMAX

Wow, over 12,000 views. I probably should update this, give me a couple days and I'll snap some pics. Everything's rolling along nicely and I even have a baby fish this year. I have noticed the goldfish spawning but neve did see any fry. Was feeding yesterday and saw one 2 incher swimming around. Dull orange color with a couple of white patches on his head. I'll have to try netting him to get a positive ID but I'm hoping it's a koi.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few pond-supply stores around town. My favorite is Nature's Corner Store. Some people have said they can also pick up pond liner at Home Depot or Lowe's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just completed a 500 gallon water change today, pulled,cleaned and set all my potted plants and netted a pile of crud and algae out. Filter bin still had an iceberg inside it. Filled it with water, set an old aquarium heater in and covered with a black tarp. Should be free in a couple of days. Won't be long before the whole thing runs again. This year I'll update with pics FOR SURE.

Ok, here's some pics...

Pond just didn't want to clear up - found out why. One of my lily tubs slid down into the depths spilling dirt everywhere. Thought it was time, so I put on the waders and jumped in for a good clean up. This is what I found.

IMG2279_zps4ab4f6a4.jpg

Some waterfall pics. I hit all the stream rocks with hydrogen peroxide and a wire brush to clean all the old algae off.

IMG2279_zpsb0b6ffbe.jpg

IMG2281_zpsa9877533.jpg

IMG2282_zps8ea2bd8d.jpg

Decided to clean the filter this year also. The company I got the design from said you never have to clean it but it needed it. The bacteria die every winter anyway.

IMG2283_zpsff618c0b.jpg

Random shot of cow skull beside the bog.

IMG2285_zpsf5f72635.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great pond, can't wait to see pics of your fish.

Threw in 3 large goldfish yesterday I got for free. Looking to maybe add 1 more koi this year and that's it. Stay tuned for some pics of the gang during feeding time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a serious bloom happening in my "pond" too right now. Horrible growing season so far. Out of 5 normally prolific lilies I have 4 leaves floating so far. Normally I'd have tons on each plant with a couple of booms showing up near the rhyzomes. I'm going to add some more marginals myself and hope it helps. Hate using chemicals and not enough funds to do a UV right now.