My Backyard Pond/Waterfall Build

MMAX

Marsh Marigold is a nice local - one of the first plants to flower and it's a bright yellow. In a year or two, you may be cursing the cattails - they can be quite invasive. I have a friend who thins out half his crop each year, and it's still too much!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marsh Marigold is a nice local - one of the first plants to flower and it's a bright yellow. In a year or two, you may be cursing the cattails - they can be quite invasive. I have a friend who thins out half his crop each year, and it's still too much!

I had to laugh yesterday. There was a couple of red-winged blackbirds circling my yard eyeing up the cattails. Maybe for a possible nesting site when they fill out more.

I just looked over everything you have done for this pond, looks fantasic!!!! I wish I had a yard to do something like this but I think i'll just stick to my tanks. I can't wait to see how the pond progresses through this summer!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

A few updated pictures

Still dealing with green water. Was just starting to clear up 2 weeks ago, then we got hit with about a week of rain. Muddied up the water and now with the heat the algae is starting to bloom again. Oxygenators are growing huge so hopefully they'll help clear up the water again. Gloriosa lily growing well, Tufted Loosestrife (bottom middle) should be blooming any day now.

CIMG3681.jpg

Bog Arum in bloom

CIMG3686.jpg

Blue Water Iris (Fleur-De-Lis), Floating Marsh Marigold and Mare's Tail

CIMG3682.jpg

CIMG3685.jpg

Filter with Water Plaintain and Giand Bur-reed. When the weather warms up for the summer I'll pack it full of Water Hyacinth.

CIMG3684.jpg

Bog starting to fill out nicely but needs lots more plants.

CIMG3683.jpg

I'm close to being done the stream so I'll update again soon.

• 1 month later...

Since my last post and after a week long holiday in Puerto Rico, I came home to find my pond finally clear. Looks like I only lost 3 goldfish earlier on and the remaining ones along with the 1 Koi have grown significantly. I dumped 3 more small Koi in the day after I got home and they seem to be doing well. I pretty much finished the stream and tonight I threw my hose from the filter bin up to the third fall and let it flow down and fall into the pond. Sorry, no pictures...we seem to have lost the battery charger for the camera after we unpacked from our holiday. As soon as I find it I'll have some pics up and a longer hose to reach to the top of the stream.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after finally finding the battery charger, plugged the battery in only to discover it was dead for good. I then found out the batt was obsolete and no one stocked them anymore. Finally tracked down a replacement company in New Jersey and at last I have some updated pics.

BackyardPond014-1.jpg

BackyardPond015-1.jpg

BackyardPond016-1.jpg

BackyardPond017-1.jpg

BackyardPond018-1.jpg

BackyardPond019-1.jpg

BackyardPond020.jpg

BackyardPond023.jpg

BackyardPond021.jpg

I still have some work to do at the bottom of the stream covering up the liner, but the damn thing actually works. I was suprised how much power the pump has pumping the distance up the hill plus the elevation. I picked up a smaller 1250gph pump to power the filter. The plan now is to not drag the tub up the hill but to place it next to the fence by the bog. I have enough spare liner left over to build a small 1 foot wide stream about 10 feet long and have it dump into the pond where the plastic waterfall is now. The dream of having trout in the pond is still alive but not this year. The koi and goldfish are easy to see where the trout wouldn't be and now after one season I have a good idea how things work. Maybe next year. I'll throw some video up here in a couple days.

Looks good!! :thumbs:

If you want more of a waterfall than a fountain at the very top of your stream, you could probably get away with putting another flatish rock right where it spouts out to direct the water down the first set of falls. The other option (and would probably work better) would be to open that top falls right up - make it nice and wide like the other ones. You don't need the big flat rocks to make a waterfall - you'll be amazed at how water cascading over different rocks looks and sounds! The other falls look great!

Looks good!! :thumbs:

If you want more of a waterfall than a fountain at the very top of your stream, you could probably get away with putting another flatish rock right where it spouts out to direct the water down the first set of falls. The other option (and would probably work better) would be to open that top falls right up - make it nice and wide like the other ones. You don't need the big flat rocks to make a waterfall - you'll be amazed at how water cascading over different rocks looks and sounds! The other falls look great!

Thanks! I originally had a flat rock where it came out of the spillway but it sprayed water everywhere so I removed it. I didn't like the top falls at first but now I do. It doesn't follow the pattern of the other waterfalls but it adds some diversity.

What do you do about evaporation? do you eaves dump intp the pond??

Evaporation is a problem. The way our yard sits in relation to the neighbour's house creates a natural wind tunnel blowing through. I just top it up every few days with the hose and treat accordingly.