My Backyard Pond/Waterfall Build

MMAX

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I went with one single piece of EPDM for pond and bog after talking with the good folks @ Bearberry Creek Water Gardens. This is apparently the way to go. Dropped over a G note on liner and underlay, good thing I can claim a bit of it on the home reno tax credit. Stay tuned for installation pics.

Underlay installed...

CIMG2081.jpg

CIMG2082.jpg

CIMG2083.jpg

Little bit of a change to the bog area. It's not going to go around the stump, too hard to make the liner seal around it. Looks like I bought a ton extra of underlay and liner which is a bad news/good news situation. Bad news--spent the extra money, good news--I may just have enough extra material to finish my stream. Followed all the formulas to calculate how much material I would need, the staff at Bearberry got the same numbers as I did. Has anybody else been this far out with their numbers? Anyway, with any luck and if I can round up a few of my friends, the liner will be in place tomorrow and the hole will be filled with water.

Instead of having tonnes of excess on both sides, you probabyl should have had it all on one side. That way, you'll have one piece for your stream. If you do end up using more than one piece for your stream, make sure there's at least a 4" drop where the pieces overlap so you don't end up losing water due to capillary action.

Instead of having tonnes of excess on both sides, you probabyl should have had it all on one side. That way, you'll have one piece for your stream. If you do end up using more than one piece for your stream, make sure there's at least a 4" drop where the pieces overlap so you don't end up losing water due to capillary action.

I did. It was all on one side.

I did. It was all on one side.

I have one main extra piece 24' X 20", if I cut this in half I'd have two 24 X 10s. jvision you mean seam them together over one of my waterfalls?

If you have the 4" drop, you don't have to seam them. Overlap them by about 12" and have a 4" drop in the overlap. That is also critical at the junction where the stream and pond meet.

I see what you're saying about excess on both sides but you're forgetting my bog area on the right side of the last pic. The tree stump had to go, it was too hard to manuver the liner over top of it. Measured my stream last night. If I split the big left over piece in half (10 X 24), I'll have a foot of liner width wise on each side of the stream and the 24" length will almost get me to the bottom. Another question jvision...is it best to do the overlap at the beginning or end of the stream? The first and second waterfalls are fairly large, so should I run the liner from the end of the stream up the hill and overlap on top or the other way around?

How are you attaching your stream liner to your starting basin? If there is no way to formally attach the liner to the basin at the top, then you'll have to find a way to do the 4" drop like I mentioned above.

When you over lap into your pond, you'll want 12" of stream liner going into your pond and have at least a 4" waterfall from stream into pond. So, if you have 12" overlap at the pond end, use whatever excess you have at the top to ensure you won't have water escaping. If you're losing more than 1/2" of water a day (assuming you don't have desert winds blowing thru your yard), you probably have a leak.

Picked up my pump today, hopefully it's big enough. Little Giant 4280gph, the biggest Bearberry stocks. If it isn't big enough they said return it and they'll find me another one. Started my rockwork yesterday and filling my bog. Snaked a soaker hose around the bottom of the bog so all I have to do is turn on the tap to water it.

Fishing005-2.jpg

Fishing007-2.jpg

Fishing006-2.jpg

Are you planning on putting plants in the pond? If so, you just going ot leave them in the pots? Otherwise, I'd get A LOT more rock and fill it in. Actually, if you cover the entire liner w. rocks, it will last indefinitely - as it is, it's only guaranteed for 10-20yrs... :)

There's going to be lots of potted plants in the pond. I'm not going to put gravel in the pond, too hard to clean. I'm going to re-do the rock work that I started. Fold the liner over so I don't have to cut any more than I need to and stack my rocks on top of it. Plant a few plants that will grow over the rocks and hang into the water and wood chip over top of them. I realize I need more rocks. I know a couple of farmers with piles of field stone that they don't mind parting with.

There's going to be lots of potted plants in the pond. I'm not going to put gravel in the pond, too hard to clean.

MMAX, The pond looks great, there are hundreds, if not millions of ways to build a pond. With or without gravel, fountains, skimmers, pressurized filters, sand filters, biofalls, bog filters, reverse edge ponds, etc. Just like all the differences there are in keeping and maintaining fish tanks or aquariums. Nothing wrong with yours at all, or the person who has a pre-formed tub from a hardware store, or...whatever. They all work. They are all ponds and all function differently.

Kudos to you for taking on such a project. It looks great and will work just fine. You have done lots of research and that's great! JOB WELL DONE MMAX!! :thumbs: :beer:

I would like to give you a bit of info to add to the rest of your info MMAX, if you don't mind checking it out.

Understanding Gravel Bottom Ponds<link :)

I have been building and maintaining gravel bottom "ecosystem type ponds" for many years, as have hundreds of other professional pond contractors I have met from around North America. Understanding these ponds is the key. I have also built many other types of ponds over the years, but a properly built and maintained ecosytem pond has been the lowest maintenance pond I have seen(amd personally maintained). :) Ponds have come a LONG way in the last 15-20 years.

"Ecosystem ponds can be easy to understand if you have a good grasp of what components go into a basic, functioning ecosystem. An ecosystem pond works with Mother Nature to provide food, shelter, and safety to the wildlife around it. It also provides you with an all-natural, low-maintenance piece of paradise. It’s important to remember, however, that every piece of the ecosystem puzzle must be present in order for a true ecosystem to be in place. Eliminate one of these elements and you’ve got an unbalanced ecosystem that won’t be so low maintenance anymore...

...Having all these things in place makes all the difference in the health and success of your water garden. Use them and work with Mother Nature, not against her, for a chemical-free wonderland of water!..."

Check out the things you’ll need to get an ecosystem pond fired up:<link