Might buy Aquarium Enthusiasts

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying aquarium enthusiasts. What I am thinking is a store that caters to people with MTS in that I buy fish from YOU more than local wholesalers, and supply you with what you're really looking for.

I don't know yet, i'm working with a limited budget so we'll see what transpires. And no, I'm not looking to go into competition with Natures Corner. I plan on swinging in there this week for coffee (yes, i'll bring timmies :thumbs: )

Anyways. I'd really like to see your opinions on:

1) what you would like to see in an edmonton fish store. I'd really like to set it up for the advanced fish keeper if i do buy it.

2) what sorts of fish are you breeding that you'd like to sell?

3) what sorts of livestock would you like to see?

I know for a fact that i won't be carrying garbage. Only quality equipment, chem's, food, etc. I also know that I would like to see a wider variety of live foods (sometimes raising your own is a pain in the caudal fin).

My initial thoughts are to have fish from local breeders on a commission basis for the rare/expensive ones, a store credit for average fish or outright purchase for cash, something along those lines.

As some of you know, I'm a single parent currently on wcb but need a new career so I'm still deciding if i'm going to do this, please let me know your thoughts.

THX

Trev

I think this is a most excellent idea but one that has to taken very seriously. I would love to finally be able to go into a LFS that I wouldnt cringe at the tanks(no I havent been to Natures corner). I do not intentially breed anything but it has been known to happen and none of the LFS in my area will give me anything not even credit for a fish they can sell for 15.00 a piece. Keep us in the loop as I will be sure to support you if you do go into business and I have 5 tanks! :smokey:

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS

1---RARE FISH THAT ARE ONLY FOUND ON EXOTIC FISH LISTS

2--- HYBRID'S---- FLOWERHORNS AND FLOWERHORN CROSSES

3---ODD BALL POTAMOTRYGONS, RARE BRACHYPLATYSTOMA'S FOR EX(ROUSSEAUXII, TIGRINUS, FILAMENROSUM), HAMPLA'S, ASAIN ARROW'S, RARE PLECO'S

------BEST OF LUCK----------

3---ODD BALL POTAMOTRYGONS, RARE BRACHYPLATYSTOMA'S FOR EX(ROUSSEAUXII, TIGRINUS, FILAMENROSUM), HAMPLA'S, ASAIN ARROW'S, RARE PLECO'S

:thumbs:

In my opinion, I would not buy that place.

I would set an aquarium store in Sherwood Park that dealt with only fish and fish related items. There is not a store here like this.

But I would like to see a mixture of pleco, cichlids, tropicals and salt fish but also a selection in equipment would be nice.

Good luck with your adventures.

Just wondering if so many are intrested in rare fish why are they not selling in the live stock section of this forum when they are posted there often at below cost

Would you be interested in taking in stuff too, like a tank/stand ? I'm thinking in exchange for stock or food . I'm thinking it could be great fore sales if a person saw a fish and really want it but think they have no room or money to set up another tank . Voila an inexpensive tank set up and now they've bought the fish too. For some of us (likely a lot of us), we graduate to larger tanks and need to clear out midsized to smaller ones. Just a thought.

Edited by Qattarra

Have they opened up their books for you yet? Have you spoken with Chris (medicdude) who was the previous owner? Or the person who managed the store before they closed the doors?

Just a couple of things that you might want to consider before you invest in this establishment. :unsure:

I would be very careful before purchasing that store..

Tough gig for sure... it is very seasonal and its a competitive market / rare fish are not what famillys want when they start up an aquarium / Just go to Pets smart and simular stores and you will see what their bread and butter is.....

Best of Luck with whatever you decide...

Please take to heart what the last 2 replies say. I have been a breeder and sold to virtually every store from Calgary to Edmonton and beyond for the last 25 years +. IMHO that store is a very risky investment that I would never ever consider.

i work right around the corner from AE and i can say the number of people that have stopped by during the weekday noon hours that are very disappointed that the store is shut down has been quite a few over the past couple months. i see this when i go for my noon-thirty walkabouts, lol.

i think it would be wonderful to have another store that is owned and operated by one of us, like nature's corner is by Henry. and the idea for having the more exotic and rare fish is great, fish you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for at stores like big als.

as for speaking with the former manager, i could put you in touch with them if you want.

if the store is currently shut down, I would recommend a strict "asset" purchase. the good will went with the store when it closed.

Also, an asset purchase will help you avoid dealing with any thing negative that may be on the books or for that matter may NOT be on the books.

Also, when doing an asset purchase, make sure you know what the wholesale cost of the assets in question are and see what they have been depretiated down to. You never want to over pay for a used and depreciated asset.

the rule of thumb for a "bankrupt" business is $0.10-$0.20 on the dollar of asset.

Make sure the lease agreement is suitable for your needs (term, price, conditions)

Lots to think about, you may need to him to a Timmies rather then taking a timmies to him...LOL

PM me if you need to know what wholesale prices are on tanks and equipment (I work for Bow Valley Aquariums)

Cheers adn good luck