Too Many Fish

Cap'n

My tank is too full and I need to get rid of fish. I want to keep all of them so I am having a hard time deciding what goes. Any advice?

3 A. compressiceps

2 N. leleupi

2 J. marlieri

3 N. caudopunctatus

8 C. leptosoma

3 clown loaches (want to replace with S. petricola)

2 bristlenose plecos

It's a 55 with lots of shale rockwork on either side of the tank with a small sandbed in between. The comps, leleupi and julies all have their own caves or shells and coexist pretty well, although the julies are seldom seen, especially the male. Adding the punks and the loaches put me over the top. I regret the loaches, they just don't fit in. But the punks look great in there! and that's why I'm in this position.

I'd still recommend that you thin down to two species of rockdwellers, though you may get lucky and get away with three. If you're looking to breed any of them, chances are the Syno's will interrupt the breeding or eat the fry/eggs when they do (or you could really lucky and have the petricola's actually breed with the A. comp's). Are you sure of the sex of the julies? If you've got a 'male' that's hiding all the time, it may be a female caring for the eggs (female julies can be larger than the males). I guess I'm not really 100% sure what you're trying for here...are these all adult fish, or juvies? Proven pairs or unknown? Do you hope to have them all breed?

Best of luck with the setup! Sounds like a great setup, you'll have to post some pics!

3 A. compressiceps (adult wild caught trio)

2 N. leleupi (mated pair)

2 J. marlieri (mated pair)

3 N. caudopunctatus (sub-adults, not paired off)

8 C. leptosoma (sub-adults)

3 clown loaches (want to replace with S. petricola)

2 bristlenose plecos

I would like to have some of these fish breed but that is not the purpose of the tank. I want to have a nice Tanganyikan community and if I also get babies, even better. I may consider seperating any breeding pairs if that happens.

The male (small) julie hides in a cave near the top of one rockpile while the female (larger) is usually on the ground level. Beautiful fish but not active enough for my liking. I would actually prefer a smaller species of julie for this tank, but I won't even consider that now. I have to keep reminding myself to thin! Pretty sure the marlieri will be for sale soon.

Both the julies and comps have bred for their previous owner but have yet to do so in my tank. Probably because it is too busy! The comps are showing lots of mating behaviour, though, so I am being patient with them.

I know the petricolas will probably disrupt any breeding or eat babies, but what if the eggs are laid in a shell or the fry are able to hide in small rock piles where the synos won't fit? I will also remove some of the fry to breeder tanks or nets if I can. I really want something to pick up any food extras and they will also kind of finish off the community. Loaches will be for sale.

I know I should get rid of one more of the rock dwellers, but that means the leleupi or the caudos, and I can't bring myself to do it. The leleupi have definately become a pair and I would not be surprised to see babies any time now. That, and their beautiful colour compared to the other more drab fish makes me want to keep them. On the other hand the punks are such a distinct contrast from the other fish - always on display, attractive colouration. And they are a new species for me. So I can't decide.

Thanks for the advice and for listening to me complain about having too much of a good thing, Kyle.

JMO, but I think an alto compressiceps & leleupi combo would make a great mix in a 55. I've never kept breeding groups, but I do know that the males of both species can get pretty territorial when they decide to.

I also forgot to add, that the A. comp's will probably do a pretty good job of taking care of any other fry as well. They're known to be great fry catchers, and the leleupi are pretty good as well. I love Syno's myself, and actually never put any egg layers in my new tank b/c I wanted the Syno's in there (I currently have 11).

Let us know what you decide to do. I'd love to tell you the Cyps are too much, but that's just b/c I have room! ^_^

So I asked my wife last night, "Which ones would you get rid of?". She said anything but the julies, which are the one species I was prepared to part with. I would love to trade them for a smaller julie so I could more accurately observe their behaviour swimming through the rockwork, but that wouldn't get me any further ahead.

RD, my old roomate had breeding leleupi in with his frontosa, and they are the reason I got into Tanganyikans. I agree, love to see a bunch of little yellow firecrackers swimming through the rocks again. As far as aggression goes, the comps are pretty tame, especially the big male. Everyone basically stays out of his way because of his size and the only ones he pushes around are the two females. The leleupi, on the other hand, are mean SOB's! The female is constantly harassing and fighting with the female comps and the male has at some point bit every other fish in the tank. Nothing serious though, since the remaining occelatus and the odd female loopie were dispatched or removed.

Maybe I should just offer everything for sale and let the market decide!

BTW, since I started feeding NLS I know exactly how many fish I have, because every time I walk by the tank they all come out to see if it is feeding time yet!

what sex are the caudos???

and What kind of cyps???

I think the punks are 1 male and 2 females, but just a guess for now.

C. leptosoma Utinta Bay, purchased from Chums. I believe you got yours from the same spawn, didn't you? Have they coloured up yet? A few of mine are just starting to show a good blue irridescence.

Loaches are already claimed.

I am getting rid of the loaches and the J. marlieri. I may replace the loaches with petricola, but I'm going to wait and see what I think of the tank without them for a while.

Hey Rahim, can you remember what I paid you for the marlieri?

I have only one picture, and it's black and white ^_^

Believe they are the regular orange variety, Kigoma. They look very much like the ones you posted the picture of in your other thread. Perhaps a bit more blue to the lips, but that may come with age.