Canister Filters

Shai

My 55g has 3 AquaClear 70s on it. I have never used any other brand of filter. I like ACs but for my 55g I think a canister would be more appropriate. Lately the waterfall noise is bothering me and I realize they drive off CO2 (tank is moderately planted).

I want to ensure the tank is overfiltered. It's a community tank with rainbowfish, cories, rose line sharks, GBRs, killis, one BN pleco, and one pitbull pleco. I will be adding a group of Ruby Greens in the near future.

I want to ensure there is a decent amount of current. These fish need good flow and the ACs can only be positioned so flow runs from front to back, which doesn't work well in a 55g since it's only 13" wide. I often see my fish trying to get "in front" of the flow to swim in it but they can't because the glass is in the way. I am looking forward to using a spraybar at one end of the tank so the water flows length-wise instead. I have a powerhead for the opposite end of the tank.

I want a canister that is easy to use and low maintenance. I don't want to have to fuss with it or its media. My ACs only have sponges in them (two each).

I have read a number of threads in this forum where members have debated which brand of canister they like best. I have come down to choosing either a Rena or an Eheim. Rena's seem to be 'best bang for buck' but I do not want to run into 'you get what you pay for'. Quality of manufacture is a big concern for me since I live in a mobile home (one level, no basement) so if the canister leaks or otherwise siphons water out of the tank there is nowhere for it to go except across my entire house. Eheims seem to have the best comments about quality but they also seem to have a steeper price tag for equivalent specs. I want a good canister without a giant hole in my wallet.

In my reading I saw that some people use Eheim 2217s on their 65g tanks so that sounds about right for me. This filter is spec'd for up to 160g with 264 GPH and no bypass. It has quick disconnect valves so that sounds easy. I like that it is all one chamber, so I hope that means I could just stuff my existing AC sponges into it? Is it really as difficult to prime as some people have said (other people have said it was easy)? Can the ugly green hoses be easily switched out for something less noticeable?

For about the same price there is the Rena XP3, which is spec'd for up to 175g with 350 GPH. This sounds "better" but I am not sure about the design--the water comes in and goes out at the top of the unit so how do you know it's actually passing through all of the filter media? On the other hand, this filter doesn't look as "tall" as the Eheim so it may fit better under my tank (though I could put the canister beside the tank if I needed to).

Which of these would be better for me? Any other tips for a first-time canister user?

At one time I also relied solely on AC's...but then I found the wonderful world of Canister filters. I have a Fluval on my 45 and a Rena XP3 on my 55...I don't know how old the Rena is, but it can't be too old...it's still in decent condition, and my Fluval is about 3-4 yrs old. I know a lot of people have had problems with their Fluvals, but at this point, i'm ready to throw out this dang Rena...every 2 weeks I have to pull it apart and wash out everything for the power to return to it...driving me nuts. I personally think Canisters are the way to go. ;)

i have a Rena XP2 on my 55 cichlid tank along with a Top Fin dual output hob. i love my Rena!!!!! (and don't care much for the dang topfin hob, lol) had it for about a year now and no problems at all. media is fairly easy to find (in deadmonton at least) and the baskets make for easy media rinsing. best thing is you really don't need to buy the Rena media, you can use whatever you want and make it fit in the baskets (pot scrubbies, sponge cut to fit, any biomax type media, any filter floss). a new Rena will come with the sponges (4 - two coarse, two finer) and if i recall correctly it came with the custom cut filter floss too. the spray bar is good but i like using the jet nozzle output attachment better, as it seems to give a greater flow of output.

I have a rena xp 2 2 fluval 204s, and a fx5 I love the fx and rena but I will most likly never use the 204s again full time. I want to try and eheim but I have not broken down and bought one yet.

My 55g has 3 AquaClear 70s on it. I have never used any other brand of filter. I like ACs but for my 55g I think a canister would be more appropriate. Lately the waterfall noise is bothering me and I realize they drive off CO2 (tank is moderately planted).

I want to ensure the tank is overfiltered. It's a community tank with rainbowfish, cories, rose line sharks, GBRs, killis, one BN pleco, and one pitbull pleco. I will be adding a group of Ruby Greens in the near future.

I want to ensure there is a decent amount of current. These fish need good flow and the ACs can only be positioned so flow runs from front to back, which doesn't work well in a 55g since it's only 13" wide. I often see my fish trying to get "in front" of the flow to swim in it but they can't because the glass is in the way. I am looking forward to using a spraybar at one end of the tank so the water flows length-wise instead. I have a powerhead for the opposite end of the tank.

I want a canister that is easy to use and low maintenance. I don't want to have to fuss with it or its media. My ACs only have sponges in them (two each).

I have read a number of threads in this forum where members have debated which brand of canister they like best. I have come down to choosing either a Rena or an Eheim. Rena's seem to be 'best bang for buck' but I do not want to run into 'you get what you pay for'. Quality of manufacture is a big concern for me since I live in a mobile home (one level, no basement) so if the canister leaks or otherwise siphons water out of the tank there is nowhere for it to go except across my entire house. Eheims seem to have the best comments about quality but they also seem to have a steeper price tag for equivalent specs. I want a good canister without a giant hole in my wallet.

In my reading I saw that some people use Eheim 2217s on their 65g tanks so that sounds about right for me. This filter is spec'd for up to 160g with 264 GPH and no bypass. It has quick disconnect valves so that sounds easy. I like that it is all one chamber, so I hope that means I could just stuff my existing AC sponges into it? Is it really as difficult to prime as some people have said (other people have said it was easy)? Can the ugly green hoses be easily switched out for something less noticeable?

For about the same price there is the Rena XP3, which is spec'd for up to 175g with 350 GPH. This sounds "better" but I am not sure about the design--the water comes in and goes out at the top of the unit so how do you know it's actually passing through all of the filter media? On the other hand, this filter doesn't look as "tall" as the Eheim so it may fit better under my tank (though I could put the canister beside the tank if I needed to).

Which of these would be better for me? Any other tips for a first-time canister user?

Okay I haven't read the other posts yet but i'll share some info i picked up this week on what to choose Rena or Ehiem. Rena has a higher flow rate over the media and allot of pass through which means some of the water that is pumped doesn't get de amoniafied by the bacteria. This makes it GREAT for fish that produce allot of waste like koi because there is less clogging. Now the Ehiem is more efficient and all the water gets treated and has little to now bypass. This makes it more energy efficient and better suited for the lower waste producing fish that you have. We could debate quility and longevity but i have found staunch supporters for both with no problems in many years. It's preference. If you like the featers on the rena and you don't mind the wasted energy and you like the internal filter idea then go for it otherwise go with the Eheim.

Good luck

L

Okay I haven't read the other posts yet but i'll share some info i picked up this week on what to choose Rena or Ehiem. Rena has a higher flow rate over the media and allot of pass through which means some of the water that is pumped doesn't get de amoniafied by the bacteria. This makes it GREAT for fish that produce allot of waste like koi because there is less clogging. Now the Ehiem is more efficient and all the water gets treated and has little to now bypass. This makes it more energy efficient and better suited for the lower waste producing fish that you have. We could debate quility and longevity but i have found staunch supporters for both with no problems in many years. It's preference. If you like the featers on the rena and you don't mind the wasted energy and you like the internal filter idea then go for it otherwise go with the Eheim.

You should easily be able to switch the hoses. Just go to Rona and buy the size you need and the length you need. Priming a filter to start can be a bit of a pain but it all depends on how you attempt it at first. If you have the money get a syphon start. If not then just get the filter at tank level. Put as much of the hose in as possible and get it full of water. put the output in a bucket on the floor and get that canister filled to the point that it starts to flow out of it. THen turn it on and quickly bring the canister to the floor as in nearly drop. this should pull the water and the lines in the tank down and get a flow started by gravity.

It can be difficult and may take a few tries but if you have shut offs on your hoses then you should never have to worry about it again. If you don't have shut offs then you can easily buy and install them(go with hardware store not brand name shut offs and use silicone as well.)

I wish i could help you more but this is just some info i've come across in my hunt for the answer to which one should i get and some experince with my fluval 203.

A little tip for the spraybar get a small hard plastic pipe about the diameter and length of the manufacturd spraybars and then just drill holes along the length of the one side o(nce again about the same amount and size of the ones you would buy in the store).

Good luck

L

While I never kept plants in my 55 gallon, when it was up & running I ran two AC 110's on it for years. I had a wooden canopy on that tank & the sound of water was barely audible, and while the current flow was fairly strong, even small juvenile fish had no issue swimming in front of the outputs. Just another option that you may like to try if you're an AC fan.

Thanks everyone for the input.

The inevitable question: Where in Calgary can either of these filters be had for the best price?