Compatibility with Red Empress or Peacocks

Ted

Just rec'd a beautiful 90 from Ted for my birthday and I want to rearrange some existing fish into it but I am concerned about crossbreeding ('cause I know I'll never be able to catch them all in there). Will Red Empress crossbreed with peacocks? I have 2M5F Red Empress who have already breed for me and 10 various sizes 3M4F3unknown Ruby Red Albino peacocks who have not. I'm hoping that a bigger tank size, some feeding up, and a little less competition from the other tankmates in the 65 will do the Albinos good and perhaps prompt them to breed. The biggest pair are 4 inch male and 3 inch female.

If I can't mix these two, what will go with either the Red Empress or the Albinos?

Thanks

Theresa

Just rec'd a beautiful 90 from Ted for my birthday and I want to rearrange some existing fish into it but I am concerned about crossbreeding ('cause I know I'll never be able to catch them all in there). Will Red Empress crossbreed with peacocks? I have 2M5F Red Empress who have already breed for me and 10 various sizes 3M4F3unknown Ruby Red Albino peacocks who have not. I'm hoping that a bigger tank size, some feeding up, and a little less competition from the other tankmates in the 65 will do the Albinos good and perhaps prompt them to breed. The biggest pair are 4 inch male and 3 inch female.

If I can't mix these two, what will go with either the Red Empress or the Albinos?

Thanks

Theresa

Those two should be compatible. Peacocks and Haps are mixed quite often. Just try to avoid two peacocks or two haps as it is extremely difficult to tell females apart.

To avoid any possibility of cross breeding you have 2 choices

1. Have only one species of male

2. My mistake you only have one choice sorry.

anyway (i'm tired and lazy right now) i'm not sure if they'd cross breed because i've heard somewhere before that someone had a Mbuna and a Tang crossbreed believe it or not. If that can happen anything can happen. I have cross breeding going on in my tank BUT i remove the non eureka red females to another tank so they don't spit into the main one where i allready have pure bred Eureka red and Electric yellow fry swimming around.

If you want the tank for breeding and they were by themselves in a 60 and didn't breed then i doubt they'd do it in the 90 just because they have more room. A change in scenery might work but that is easily achieveable in the 60 gal. Just move all the other fish over into the new tank and leave the albino's If i knew more about your fish list i could come up with more ideas. Bigger space and less competition like you said might help.

Good luck with whatever you choose

L

They should be fine together just watch for the albino's getting out muscled for food as they tend to have inferior eyesight.

Red empress and albino peacocks should be fine. I'd be more cautious if they were regular peacocks, as I've had male peacocks breed with my Taiwan reefs(same family as red emps) before.

But if you dont' plan on removing any fry it doesn't really matter. Most, if not all will be eaten if left in the tank. Get a few Synos and fry wont' be a problem.

Thanks

Theresa

I was able to catch 3 out of the 7 Albinos (miscounted the first time - lol) and all of the Red Empress and now everyone is happliy swimming around their new tank. What surprised me was the Albino dominant male has lost his timid streak and is actually chasing larger Red Empress away from the cave he has staked out. Makes my heart glad as I was worried about his. With the extra space, the smaller Red Empress male has coloured right up too!

Thanks for all the help

Theresa

• 5 months later...

Thanks

Theresa

Hello there: I have 2 large Malawi tanks and have a male empress in each. They fit right in. I was having trouble when thier females were in because they really defend thier territory. But just males. No, problems.