the net that fish can't see???

fishclubgirl

So woo, woo I got a new net so I don't fall in bigger tanks. This one is red netting and claims to be the net that fish can't see. Anybody try one of these??? Any feedback?? Believe me if it helps me catch swordtails easier, I'll be hawking it like "sham wow".

So woo, woo I got a new net so I don't fall in bigger tanks. This one is red netting and claims to be the net that fish can't see. Anybody try one of these??? Any feedback?? Believe me if it helps me catch swordtails easier, I'll be hawking it like "sham wow".

That's a strange one. I can hardly wait until they bring out red fishing line:-)

I think the packaging says, "Fish MAY not see red..." :rolleyes: A net is a net...

"You can see net, but fish may not.... easier to catch fish!"

I've tried it with many fish and I realy dont notice a differance. Some stupid congos swam into it but other fish like rainbows and cichlids just ran away. It may HELP but I dont think most fish are as dumb as people think.

I needed a new net and it was the same price. Actually my fave net is white cloth which makes it easier to see fry. But it isn't big enough for use in this tank. Figured it was worth a shot!!

There is some science behind the net thing: Red light is the first to be absorbed by water as you get deeper. So it is feasible that some fishes never see the color red because it doesn't exist in their habitat. However, it would not be invisible to them, but probably just appears black.

But really, your aquarium is not deep enough to make that kind of difference.

I suspect that the little suckers can feel the net coming through their lateral lines no matter what color it is.

IF fish can't see red then why do My eureka reds have soo much red on them?????

It sounds okay but i doubt it'd work overly well. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

L

• 3 weeks later...

So I moved over 50 fish this weekend and have some feedback about my net. When the net moves, the fish can sense it but when it's still, they will swim into it much easier than a standard net. This applied to all the fish I moved, angelfish and livebearers. Interesting to watch!!

I would suggest it just the opposite. My many years of fishing while using red and white daredevlels as a lure sure brought a lot of fish in. Maybe the red attracts fish and thats why they like the net:-) We shall never know.......

Cajun line - red fishing line based on the fact that red is the first color to disapear in water. It's extremely popular in the carabean and southern states. I bought some in the TCI to try out here. its sold at the fishing centre in edmonton if you want to try it out also.

- if you have an underwater camera you will notice that underwater pictures don't capture red.

http://www.cajunline.com/technology.html

I think you would need an especially deep and wide tank in order for the red spectrum to filter out. A lake or ocean has light only coming from the top. Your fish tank probably has light coming from at least 2 sides. mine has it from 5. so I don't think the red spectrum would filter out in my tank. Maybe with the tank light off. and minimal natural light in the room a red net would work.

just my 2 cents.

Edited by timmyg