First timer male betta

balikiss

So my male and female have been together for three days now, and he's built up a bit of a bubble nest and finally this morning he chased her under it and attempted to wrap around her..and attempted, and attempted. They were at it for three hours, but every time he got into position around her, he would either swim away too soon, or become paralyzed and sink to the bottom still curled around himself(sans female, who is looking rather bored with the whole process). No eggs have been expelled, but I was wondering..Does practice make perfect and he'll eventually get it right? Or will they eventually quit trying? Thnx for any help.

Edited by balikiss

I don't know if you know but i thought i best ask in case you didn't(no offence really) but does she have that white egg spot??? and can you see her horizontal lines and spot if they are now vertical?? It might be she isn't ready not him allthough i am definately no expert as i've yet to get to the wrapping stage let alone the egg expelling stage. the only other thing i can think of is there isn't enough of that bacteria that the babies feed on so the mother won't release her eggs. I thought the male was the one to not make a bubble nest if that was the case but i could easily be mistaken.

Good luck.

L

Lol yes she does have a white egg spot (ovipositor) and shes a white colour so i can't see any vertical lines, but I can see her chest full of eggs. Shes definitely ready for him, and goes along with the wrapping, but he just won't hold it long enough. I guess it just all comes down to his inexperience. Just wondering how much practice he needs to master the 'egg squeezing out'

Lol yes she does have a white egg spot (ovipositor) and shes a white colour so i can't see any vertical lines, but I can see her chest full of eggs. Shes definitely ready for him, and goes along with the wrapping, but he just won't hold it long enough. I guess it just all comes down to his inexperience. Just wondering how much practice he needs to master the 'egg squeezing out'

Just leave them be and if they're ignoring each other, then pull them. Either they're spawned or it wasn't meant to be. I give them 3 days to spawn and if not, then put in another pair.

Your boy is inexperienced in the art of love! Sounds like they are both ready if she is allowing him to wrap around her but misses the boat so to speak.

It's just a case of patience, he will get the hang of it eventually. Good luck! :thumbs:

Well I figured after four days, that they hadn't spawned, so i did a water change, let the male sit in the tank for half the day to rebuild a bit of a nest, and then introduced the other female, he built a bigger nest, but wasnt much interested in her. After two days I pulled her out and did another water change...I was checking up on the male and thought i saw some snail eggs on the side of the wall, so i took a closer look...and they were FRY!!!!! SOMEONE SPAWNED AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW!!!!!!!! I have no idea how many there are, dad didn't have a nest and it looked like he was eating them, so in a panic i yanked him out and the fry got stirred around..and i have no idea which female it was..what a disaster!

Oh, dear... put the male back in with those eggs he will need to help them grow, also because the male will put the eggs in his mouth to wash them... and replace back into the nest, sometimes moving the entire nest to a better position.

Well, one thing to know even use experienced folks do the same thing... I know I have had my oops I didn't know moments...

If nothing happens this batch, try again this time you will be more prepared.

• 4 weeks later...

Well heres a little update on them. Exactly three weeks later..I put the first batch into my 5 gal shrimp tank when they were about 4 days old. Think i put about 20 of them in. Always saw a few of them floating up in the corners, until after the first week. I kinda figured they either were blending in with the rocks, or they had died. And then a couple days ago I saw one!! And it was almost a quarter of an inch long! Super excited that one managed to stay alive. And then next day I found another. And then today another one! So I put the three little ones in the half filled 10 that I was attempting to breed my white clouds in (no luck). They seem to be doing good. Just got my microworm cullture, so i'm gona give the other pair a shot at breeding again.

• 4 weeks later...