30 Gal Tank Bowing

RickJ

I have a 30 gal tank that has been up for about 10 months. I just noticed that it is bowing out about 3/8" in the middle.

I've inspected the tank and all the seams seem fine.

I assume that is a problem, but don't know. I change about 1/3 of the water today and the bowing did go down to about 1/4" when the water was lower.

Should I be concerned? What about adding a centre brace?

Rick

all my tanks bow out a little even my 20 gal simply because of the weight of the water. If you could give me a measurement in cm or mm not inches i could tell you if it's normal or not. Although it does really sound normal. My 30 gal bows 1cm and my thick glassed 40 gallon does the same. New larger tanks include a brace in the middle which prevents the tank from bowing as much and i suspect it allows them to get away with a thinner sheet of glass. I've yet to see a brace on a tank smaller than 45 gallons.

I wouldn't worry at all unless it really is bowing 2cm or more. If that happens get a piece of glass cut to the smallest width and then silicone it in. Judgeing by the creme coloured trim and the algae silicone this tank is very old. My fairly new 20 gal bows as well so old or new both will bow.

Have a great weekend.

L

3/8's on a little tank can seem excessive. Is there a centre brace? Bowing has nothing to do with the seams, just with the thickness of glass, and if there is eurobracing/cleating or trim w/ a brace. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I work with tanks on a daily basis.

all my tanks bow out a little even my 20 gal simply because of the weight of the water. If you could give me a measurement in cm or mm not inches i could tell you if it's normal or not. Although it does really sound normal. My 30 gal bows 1cm and my thick glassed 40 gallon does the same. New larger tanks include a brace in the middle which prevents the tank from bowing as much and i suspect it allows them to get away with a thinner sheet of glass. I've yet to see a brace on a tank smaller than 45 gallons.

I wouldn't worry at all unless it really is bowing 2cm or more. If that happens get a piece of glass cut to the smallest width and then silicone it in. Judgeing by the creme coloured trim and the algae silicone this tank is very old. My fairly new 20 gal bows as well so old or new both will bow.

Have a great weekend.

L

3/8" is roughly 9 mm, going by what you said on 2 cm or less it should be within tolerance.

Edited by roninkenshin

Here is the exact details,

Tank is 36" (91.4cm) x 12 1/4" (31.1cm). Glass is 1/4' (5mm) Thick It has plastic trim but no centre brace.

In the middle of the long side the tank is bowing just under 3/8" or 8mm.

I did read somewhere that glass could bow 2x the thickness, so I'm within that tolerance.

It is just concerning as I never noticed it before, I think It might have had something to do with how I put the cover on when I changed the water that I noticed it....

Rick

• 4 weeks later...