Albino gene question

JORG

I recentley bred one of my ruby red males with a albino ruby red female I got from fairdeal. So I stripped 82 fry from her and not one albino. I'm wondering now, will all her fry now have the albino gene?

The albino gene follows mendelian genetics. Two genes make up the color of your fish, and the albino gene is recessive; it will not show at all when mixed with a regular gene.

Let's say Big A is regular color and little a is albino; here's what happened with your fish:

Male is AA - both genes regular

Female is aa - both albino genes

So, all if their kids will have the gene mix of Aa - one regular gene and one albino gene. And, since albinism is recessive, it will not show.

Now, if you breed two of these kids together, you will get a quarter of their kids being albino - AA, Aa, Aa, aa will be the genetic ratio.

If you breen one of the first kids to the albino female, you will get half of them albino - Aa, Aa, aa, aa.

In order to get all albino fry, you must breed a male and female albino together.

HTH. :thumbs: