Filter for a 56 Gallon Tank

maniac

I just purchased a larger tank and need to get a filter for it. Which is the best kind of filter to get for a tank that is about 55-56 gallons? Is it better to get a Canister or a hang on the back filter?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Until today, my 66 had both. But, my wife didn't like seeing or hearing the HOB, so now I have 2 canisters.

i would vote Aquaclear, probably a 50 or a 70, and another filter as well (i always run two filters just in case). the other one could be a Rena XP2 or XP3. that would give you more than enough filtration. if your fish are messy, such as large cichlids or goldfish, then you want even more filtration than i mentioned above.

I have three Aquaclears on my 55g but I am currently "in the market" (so to speak) for a good deal on a canister. After several years of waterfall noise and other such things I'm ready for some silence.

Edited by Shai

• 2 weeks later...

Should your car be an automatic transmission or a standard? Depends on the type/size of vehicle and the driver but both can get you there safely.

Same with the filter(s). I have had just HOB, just canisters, and some of both on various tanks. There are pros and cons to each (factors like price, water movement, ease of maintenance, set up options). If one type were better than the other, there would be only canisters or only HOB left on the market.

For HOB, I like Aquaclear and suggest two Aclear 70s on your tank (or one AC110) but I like the idea of two in case one quits plus better water movement.

I have only had Eheim filters for canisters so can't comment on best canisters as I have not tried many.