syphons

fish_man

In Red Deer, the ones with 25ft of hose was around $40 @ PetSmart. To get the 50' hose instead, they were about $60 or so, plus tax.

I went to Crappy tire, bought a waterbed fill kit, and a 50' hose. Cost $15 bucks. Also picked up a 10'clear hose, and had a spare gravel cleaner here. Basically, 60' for about $25. Works good too.

Same here. Go DIY instead of retail. Much cheaper, and you can customize it if you wish. If you have a larger tank, look for a wider hose. More money, but much quicker. I'm planning to pick up something larger myself this summer when gardening supplies start to go on sale....

Dunl

Another 'tip', use a brass shut off valve, not the plastic type that you see on Pythons. I have a Python that I picked up on a sale a few years back, but the plastic shut offs are a disaster waiting to happen. Mine cracked on me, and I know a few people who had them blow apart (the plastic connector broke) when doing water changes. No problem if you're in an unfinished cement floor room, big problem if you're standing in your living room. :o

I really think my 50 foot was a waste of money, considering all i use it for now is the hose, I had read about the diy versions but wasn't sure I trusted it all that well assumed they had to be more complicated then that but they aren't do what everyone else said, buy yourself just a cheap normal hose and the starterthingy which I don't use anyways can be bought at a petland, gravel vac which i don't use either can just be an old one shoved inside your hose

Well, I went to Home Depot, Canadian (Crappy) Tire and Wal-mart, none of them had a waterbed filling kit. No one knew what I was talking about :well:

I ended up at Big Al's to pick up some supplies and Mike told me they sell the adapters on their own for $12. I know it's not a cheap as the $6-7 as some people were mentioning but the kit ended up a lot cheaper than a Python. One problem, the end on the adapter is too large to fit my kitchen tap, I have to go out tonight and get a convertor! Grrr! :cuss:

~Reza~

Edited by Reza

If I remember last year, people had trouble in both Calgary and Edmonton getting these, but the Red Deer Canadian Tire had some.

$3.99 each. If you're in town, good idea to stop in and buy a few....

Dunl

Does anyone else have this problem?

All washers are in place, plumbing screwed in tightly. When I turn the faucet on a spray of water lightly comes out of the labelled joint. When I leaved the tap on and close end of the hose (tank side) the jet of water is intense. Even when filling the tank with the tank end open unless I want to fill the tank EXTREMELY slowly the adapter leaks. Is this a drawback to python like syphons or do you think I have a dud?

Thanks all.

~Reza~

Edited by Reza