Fluval Edge Aquarium

fshkpr4evr

Is the top filled with air bubbles or do the make their way to the opening in the middle. I Guess when you set it up, you have to make sure is it level?

Some bubbles escape on their own, but you need an algae magnet to scoot them all out. You kind of need tweezers, etc. to do any fine planting, because if you put your hand in there, it overflows. :(

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I upgraded the lights on my Edge aquarium: I ordered these LED lights from eBay. They're a much better color ("cool white") and because they're a wide angle bulb, they don't have the stupid spotlight effect that the halogens had. The plants like them better too- I've got some floating riccia in there that has now started pearling.

So I upgraded the lights on my Edge aquarium: I ordered these LED lights from eBay. They're a much better color ("cool white") and because they're a wide angle bulb, they don't have the stupid spotlight effect that the halogens had. The plants like them better too- I've got some floating riccia in there that has now started pearling.

Kewl...I just ordered 4 of them :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Kewl...I just ordered 4 of them :thumbs:

Lights showed up yesterday. I ditched the supplied lights a couple weeks ago and started using an external 24W T5HO but it kind ruined the esthetics of the whole EDGE concept. With the new LED's It looks just as it should, thanx Werner.

IMG_1295.jpg

Now it's time to address the filtration. I thought about using a spare EHEIM 2213 that I have sitting around but I think its would create way too much current in this small enclosure, thinking more along the lines of a TOM Rapid Canister...

Edited by cale262

I've looked at this and wondered if it would work for a betta? If it wasn't filled to the top would there be enough fresh air in there? And could you fit in a fully submersible little heater?

Not sure that I'd feel right putting a betta in there. Leaving an air gap would kind of defeat the idea of the cool glass top, but that would probably be best for a labyrinth fish.

I don't currently have a heater in mine (the shrimp inhabitants are happy at room temp), but you'd either have to find a really short one or get a submersible one and lay it sideways. By the time you get gravel in the Edge, there's not much more than 6" of height left. I'm having trouble with getting the rocks and wood that I have to fit in there too.

Now it's time to address the filtration. I thought about using a spare EHEIM 2213 that I have sitting around but I think its would create way too much current in this small enclosure, thinking more along the lines of a TOM Rapid Canister...

The TOM might be a good option- and would hide in the back! So far, I've got no filter. Just a small powerhead to move the water around a bit and diffuse the DIY CO2 that I've got going. The Edge Aquaclear filter that came with it never made the cut.

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded my filtration today, found a nice small canister that just barely squeaks into the back filter compartment, almost as if it was made for the EDGE...

the ZOO MED 501...

501filteralt.jpg

Edited by cale262

Any article ever written on aquarium selection tells us to buy shallow and long: as opposed to tall and deep. This arrangement gives us the maxim amount of atmospheric exchange. How can we justify the microscopic surface area ratio this system offers ? :well: