Stocking thoughts for 130g planted tank

gdcox76

So I'm in the process of putting together everything for a 130g heavily planted tank. I'm brainstorming about the fish list, however I could use some thoughts on the numbers I can keep in this size tank and if I have compatibility issues. My thoughts so far are as follows:

Rummynose Tetras

Neon Tetras

Corys - have not determined which yet but I don't think that matters

Gourami's - Honey, Dwarf, Moonlight

Angels

Mollies

I had some barbs in mind but tossed those out in favor of the angels.

Mollies won't work, they require harder water with a higher PH, than all the other fishes you've chose.

Anyways as for the tetras i think a single uniform school looks better, i would take either neons or the rummies ( me personally rummies ), hwoever if you go with both possibly 30 of each would look nice. Cories ... i don't know i like the hastatus and habrosus .

Nice choice on the gouramis .. go with around 10 ?

Angels .. i would say a pair or two pairs.

Hmm this large tank is gonna turn out goood with all the thought you're putting into it.

Keep it up!

I had a planted 135 for a couple years. I think large tetras looked better than smaller ones. I had a school of 8 Congo tetras with a school of 8 Bleeding Hearts, and a school of over 50 Cardinals... the cardinals eventually became food for the angels. I liked the overall presence of the large tetras better. When you get 4 4" males chasing after their females, along with 4 Bleeding Heart males with their huge hooks and hues of purple and pink at breeding time, it's amazing!

Corys are great as well, go with a dozen or so. My favs are Orange Lazers, but I'd go with a medium-large species. The dwarf corys could get lost - you'd probably want a school of 20+ if you went that way.

Nice choice on the gouramis .. go with around 10 ?

Angels .. i would say a pair or two pairs.

Hmm this large tank is gonna turn out goood with all the thought you're putting into it.

Keep it up!

Thanks Kayen I figure I should at least try to get all my ducks in a row so to speak, as I have time to do the planning. I can't just go out and buy everything for this tank all at once, I would like to but it's not financially an option. I really did want to have some mollies again, guess that will have to wait. This tank is 72" long I really think I need to put the schooling tetras into it, the mollies would be fine in a much smaller tank. I have thought about getting a bit bigger tank for our cichlids, maybe a 90g then I could put mollies into the 33g.....hmmm. Have to figure out how to slide that one by the hubby. Might have to be during one of those conversations when I KNOW he's not listening to me!

Haha, hope you get it all figured out sooner or later, but a large school of tetras in a nicely planted tank is truly breathtaking. It looks really, really nice, along with the suppoorting cast of the fish.

By the way : Saw you pop into the chatroom last night .

Ok so I took the whole NO mollies idea at face value but I have been thinking since and of course now I have more questions. It has been a long while since I have needed to test my water as we have had cichlids in our tank for about 3 years and tap water works without constant monitoring. (We moved 3 years ago, the planted tank didn't like that so well and kinda melted and well I had a lot of other stuff going on and decided rock and gravel was more in keeping with my available time) ok so I'm blithering again, the questions. Last I checked (about 3 years ago) our water was pretty(very) hard and the PH was in the 7.6 -7.8 range (probably why the mollies where permanently having babies now that I connect the dots) soooo if that is the case what do I need to do to the water to make it right for the tetras and all of the non livebearers for that matter, if I want to put them in my new tank? Next Question if you are keeping livebearers in a planted tank with CO2 addition is that not going to lower the PH lower than they would like it. Am I driving people crazy yet cause I'm sure I can come up with more noob questions.

The water out of the tap in AB is still hard and basic - great for cichlids and livebearers.... and plants, too! (there are very few plants that need soft, acidic water). Adding CO2 will lower the pH a bit - probably by .5 to 1.0 points, which isn't detrimental to most livebearers - they will continue to breed for you. I think why Kayen is suggesting not to use mollies is that naturally, they prefer salt in their water. Most other commonly available livebearers don't come from brackish habitats, and will do fine in a planted tank.

Yep, Jason nailed it, i've had problems with mollies in the past as they didn't like the lack of salt content, and it seemed to bother some of my other fish, so not sure if it has happened to other people.

However one thing about AB tap water is that total dissolved solids is a bit high ( well for me anyways ), and it hold back a bit of breeding.

• 1 month later...

I have a school of about 20 rummynose in my 90 and would do what you are thinking of doing with the 2 schools - 1 rummy the other cardinals. My school of 20 rummys is the largest id go even in a larger tank. I prefer having some variety. I get 30 cardinals with the 20 rummys. rummy's like to school in an open area of your tank. I have a fairly densely planted tank so I make sure they have a nice path from one corner of the tank to the other to swim back and forth to. I keep a healthy population Endler's instead of cardinals but with a tank your size you could go both. Cardinals and Rummynose for mid level and Endler's (top feeders ie guppies) for top.

as for going with bigger tetras. bleeding hearts are stunning but are very aggressive to smaller fish in my experience.

I would only keep bleeding hearts with fish close to the same size. I love the look of relatively tiny fish compared to the tank. If I kept bleeding hearts I would want something bigger than my 90.

cories for the bottom is a good plan. I like my little panda cories.

You may want to add some fish for algae control. - bristle nose pleco is working out great for me.

i have mollies in with angels, tetras with no problem. i never add salt except to medicate. and the mollies are fine.

these perticular molies were bred in calgary water, maybe that will make the difference. i have had lots of mollies a while ago and never had problems.

i would get lots of cories, more the better. i like sterbai, any laser, panda's, any cory that has multi colored. i dont really like the hastatus. they are small for a big tank like that unless you get 40 or more of them. that would be cool. the only corys i dont really like are the bronze and albino. they seem a little plain

Love my mollies who are great in Calgary water without salt too (because I never remember). Mine are in with angels, platies and swords and everyone gets along well.Mollies do like to eat some kinds of algae too. Only issue is my male schenops wants to breed with fish of a similiar colour and it does annoy the bumblebee platies,lol!! As for cories, they are best in groups and are fun to watch. My faves are my skunk cories!! Can't wait to see the pix of this tank!!

Well the stocking plan for the tank has really changed gears. I discovered rainbow fish! I just got 2 groups from a local breeder, and he is working on a couple other varieties for me to form at least 2 more groups. I have 8 panda corys and some otos, some Amano shrimp of which I need more. Nerite (4), True Red Planorbid ramshorn (3), and malaysian trumpet (2) snails. I'm working on getting an initial algae bloom under control and then I'll post some pictures and/or make a journal for everyone to see.

• 1 month later...