2 filters - 1 tank

EowynJane

I'm looking to add a second filter to my cichlid tank, it's a 50 gallon with a fluval cannister filter that is rated for a 75 gallon tank. What kind of filter is the best choice to go with it? Would another cannister be alright? I don't really want to use a HOB since the lid of the tank isn't designed for it and I didn't really want to give up the space inside for any internal filters.

Also, what brand would you go with? I have the fluval because it came with the tank and I think they are a pretty good filter but the ones I saw were a bit pricey. I'd like to stay with a fairly economical brand.

i'd run two filters on any tank, just in case one should konk out on you. i also suggest having at least double the filtration rating for the tank size.

why not go with a rena xp2? they're not that pricey and work well. i have one of these, in addition to a dual output hob, on my 'big fish' tank and the rena does a good job. what's nice is the renas come with both jet nozzle and spray bar, so you don't have to go buying extra parts afterward if you want to change things up.

On my 66 gallon discus tank I run an XP3 and a Magnum H.O.T. as well as 2 sponges.

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/sk...e5a0+1254223878

when i was checking out canisters i asked about the Eheim, Rena, and Fluval brands and it was a tie between Eheim and Rena for quality from everything i heard but there was a little tidbit that i managed to distinguish the two. Eheim has a great bio capacity and their flow rates are exactly what you want to get the max benifit(lower electricity costs too) They are great for any aquarium that has fish that don't product a tonne of waste like goldfish and the like that might clog the filter with debris. Rena on the other hand does have a higher flow rate and less bio capacity for it's size and allows waaaaayyyyy more pass through so its great for goldfish, rays and other big waste producers. For a Cichlid or planted tank i'd go with an Eheim. Save up a little more and get one for a Cichlid tank or find a used one. Good luck

L