Wooden tanks

Rainmaker69

I got a 180 wood a month or so ago and love it. It has made a huge difference in my South American cichlids who are not out and about all the time .Before while in an all glass they hid most of the time. I don't know why this is with wood tanks but have had several people tell me that fish who always hid will be out and certainly that is the case with mine. I had mine made out of good 2 sides birch and stained it myself. It looks great. It is much easier to heat and a single 300 watt heater keeps it at what ever temp. I want. I know people who have had wood tanks up and running for 15 years with no trouble.

rick

After having had a number of huge wooden tanks myself while in Malawi, and met a number of people who have made their own, I know that I'm going to make a bunch as soon as I get settled permanently. Stuart really felt that wild caught fish do much better in wooden tanks b/c the majority of the light comes in from the top, whereas glass tanks allow light in from all sides. That could be the explanation for 'shy' fish coming out more in wooden tanks.

As Tanked said, you can use lower wattage heaters (when compared to glass tanks) because of the superior insulating properties of wood compared with glass.

I know of a number of people who still have their wooden tanks up and running they built over 15 years ago (I think just about everyone in the Saskatoon Aquarium Society has wooden tanks now). As long as you're careful and take your time, I don't think that durability is an issue at all.

You'll have to keep us posted on what you decide!

Ad Konings in many of his books on African cichlids has stated that "The most important part of the decor is the background" and he recommends that 2-3 sides of the aquarium should be covered. It prevents light from entering from the sides of the aquariium and makes the fish feel secure.