Wooden tanks

Rainmaker69

Well... it's 'that' easy, huh?

Actually sounds like a really fun project... I may start planning a really nice bookshelf/multi tank setup. Certainly is a more attractive look than the plain all-glass tanks... not that they are bad.. just... ya... ok. Thanks!

I think the most expensive part of these besides the glass is the epoxy paint used to waterproof the tank.

Like Dean said, size makes a difference. There is virtually no savings I am told unless you go larger that 100 gallons. At that point, the $$$ savings really start to add up.

When I get permanently settled as well, I would like to look at making a full length tank along a wall, with "windows". Instead of one piece of glass, brace the hell out of it in between three 6ft panes of glass, and run it the full length of the wall. Construction of the frame would be like three tanks, but with water flow between all behind the sections in between the glass.

But then again, those concrete vats that were in Kyle's presentation looked interesting as well.....

Dunl

From what I remember when looking it up in the past, I don't think that silicone bonds with wood the way that the epoxy does. The epoxy can be tinted any colour, whereas with the silicone you're essentially limited to black or clear. Epoxy could also be cleaned easier I think using an algae scrubber, whereas silicone couldn't as easily.

"The Mighty Brian" on www.cichlid-forum.com has made many plywood tanks in Winnipeg. I believe he has some that have just the fiberglass resin as a coating, instead of the epoxy, but I may be wrong.

You know what I'd really like to see? (besides me curbing my habit of hijacking posts.....:lol:)

How about getting that hubby of yours to help you do up an article on the contruction of that pacu tank?

Now THAT would be interesting! B)

Dunl