Do I have a bristlenose pleco?

jesp

So I picked up a 3 inch pleco from someone and I assumed it was a common pleco because of the coloration and lack of any distinguishing pattern or body shape. I just moved it to my 50 gallon mbuna tank and noticed that it had little spike type things off the sides of its face. I let it go in the tank then looked online to learn more about BN's for my 33 gallon planted tank. Turns out that BN's have spikes on the sides of their heads that come out and not always bristles on their noses, from what I understand. I am not sure if their are other plecos that have these similar hooks? I just don't want to put it in my planted tank until I know it won't be eating my plants.

Please fill me in on what this guy is!

Cheers.

A picture would help, but it may be a female BNP.

I agree, sounds like a female Bristlenose. Males have the bristles up the face, but females just have a few short bristles around the nose.

Edited by jvision

I feel like if I actually got a picture of this guy that it would not be clear enough to do anything. I have posted some pictures from the internet of female bnp's. It looks like this, but that is very similar to the common pleco. But YES, it has tiny little bristles on the nose, and, as mentioned before those odd spikes on the side of the head that come out. You think it is a female then?

post-4146-1254492795_thumb.jpg

post-4146-1254492809_thumb.jpg

post-4146-1254492822_thumb.jpg