just tested kh/gh. whats going on in my new tank? off the chart!

BettaBeats

i jsut bought a test kit for GH/KH.

here are the results, can some members help me figure this out?

10G

KH

5 drops

degree dKH 5

ppm KH 89.5

GH

10 drops

ppm GH 179

pH 7.0 moved from another apartment, incl. 3/4 of the original water.

new tank to my new apartment..

20Gh

KH

14 drops

- off the chart?!

GH

20 drops

off the chart?!

pH 7.8 ......

i have the geosystem pacific gravel in this tank.. w/ some laterite and bigger black gravel in some spots.. heavily planted.

Edited by BettaBeats

From the Geosystems website:

GEOsystem Pacific Gravel , from the ocean, provides a variety of natural color tones that will enhance most aquarium environments. Note: GEOsystem Pacific Gravel will buffer pH. It is suitable for Marine, brackish water and African Chichlid aquariums.

This is probably some kind of calcium carbonate type gravel and will raise your KH, GH, and pH. Not the most suitable substrate for a planted tank.

Edited by werner

Any inert gravel will work. Smaller sizes (1-3mm) are good- the plants stay rooted easily, and it doesn't compact too quickly like sand would.

Sandblasting grit is nice, or you can find "play sand" at some of the large home centers (sometimes this stuff requires a lot of rinsing.)

There's always Flourite or other brands of specialty plant substrates- you wouldn't need to mix these with the laterite.

Just a note on the sandblasting stuff....

I bought a big bag of the smallest sandblasting material they had, and apparently they don't sell silica anymore, so I went with the recycled glass in the 30 gal planted tank, the plants are doing great and the fish are well...however, I put in 22 small apple snails and the majority of them died and now i'm afraid to put in a pleco...so I think if you end up using this stuff, don't put anything in that will eat/suck on the glass. The plants are doing great though...lol

It was most likely the move that stirred up the water in the gravel and mixed it so that you had a great big PH Jump along with GH an KH so maybe a water change or two would allow things to settle down a bit and things should go back to the way they were. It shouldn't hurt to wait if you wanted to before you change your substrate.

Good luck

l

I'm going to throw a new thought in here. There are 2 sources of water in Calgary, the Bow and Elbow rivers and 2 treatment centres. Elbow is for south Calgary and Bow is for the north. Myself, I have always used water from the Elbow and am not familiar with the properties of the Bow water(and would like to know more about it). Perhaps in your move, you changed your source of water???

I'm going to throw a new thought in here. There are 2 sources of water in Calgary, the Bow and Elbow rivers and 2 treatment centres. Elbow is for south Calgary and Bow is for the north. Myself, I have always used water from the Elbow and am not familiar with the properties of the Bow water(and would like to know more about it). Perhaps in your move, you changed your source of water???

this was originally my first thought. but the ph in my 10 gal hasnt changed at all.

and it was only a few blocks, so i doubt i'm on another water main.

appears to be the substrate.. :\