Question about bagging fish

Urban_Cowboy

Quick question when bagging fish why do we use plastic bags? is it just because they are "Watertight" or is there some other reason... the reason i ask is i went out and bought some Rubbermaid tubs (10LX5WX5H inches) enough to fit 1 decent sized fish these fish have a 4 hour+ ride in my car... i guess my concern is will it hurt the fish to be in tubs rather then bags? pros and cons? the tubs are not air tight and i will have them in a Big box so that no water leaks out into my car... but isnt that better for the fish to not have to breathe in the CO2 and to have a bit of Oxygen Exchange?

If the tubs are clean there is no trouble. Also, it is better to have access to some kind of oxygen, especially if it is a big fish. I use ice cream buckets or 5 gallon pails all the time and have had no problems except for the occasional sloshing in the car........ew.

(In the future, I think this topic might be better suited for the 'General Aquaria Discussion'. The water cooler is for like cars, or birthdays, or whatever.)

Quick question when bagging fish why do we use plastic bags? is it just because they are "Watertight" or is there some other reason... the reason i ask is i went out and bought some Rubbermaid tubs (10LX5WX5H inches) enough to fit 1 decent sized fish these fish have a 4 hour+ ride in my car... i guess my concern is will it hurt the fish to be in tubs rather then bags? pros and cons? the tubs are not air tight and i will have them in a Big box so that no water leaks out into my car... but isnt that better for the fish to not have to breathe in the CO2 and to have a bit of Oxygen Exchange?

To my thinking it's the cheapest way for a retailer to handle/stock/maintain and sell his product. As long as your container is inert (does not leach chemicals into the water) pretty much anything should work.

I have a couple of ice cream pails with lids that i would use to haul long distance. The other thing is to get Bag buddies or a dose of prime in the water to help deal with the ammonia during transport.

L

I always use rubbermaid tubs and buckets. The fish I have I would need really big bags so its retarded. Rubbermaids work great. But some of them don't seal well so when you put your breaks on you might get your truck a little wet.