Silicone for tile cave

EowynJane

I was wanting to make a tile cave for my BN and I was wondering if there was a specific kind of silicone that I should use? What is safe to use in an aquarium? I saw in one article regular construction silicone was used, I have to assume it is safe but I was wanting a little more info.

wobie claims - "The GE Silicone I is aquarium safe"

I have seen (exspensive) aquarium safe silicone @ my LFS.

I have used this as well.

attach_add.pngattach_remove.pnggif.gif mini_Iattach_add.pngattach_remove.pnggif.gif mini_IMG_05MG_

Oooooops sideway's just lay on your side to view :smokey:

John

Edited by geleen

There is a great big long sticky post somewhere about the GE Silicone I. Bottom line is it is aquarium safe and cheap. I once paid $13 for a tube of "aquarium safe" silicone cause I didn't know better. Those crooks that took me on that one never got another dime from me.

Now I know better, and so do you!.

Boom :boom:

When looking for a cheap supply of silicon for plumbing some ponds, I found a 3-pack at Home Hardware for $10 - says "Aquarium Safe" in big letters right on the tube. GE might be a little more expensive, but you can get it in different colors and can be picked up anywhere.

the ge silicone 1 i think it says not for aquarium use. or not for under water, something like that but not sure..

it is safe, they just put it on there for there own protection.

just make sure you get ge silicone 1 doors and windows, not bath and sink, bath and sink is bad. it has some sort of anti fugus or anti mold stuff in it which is bad.

also, silicone 2 is not the right stuff.

make sure that the silicone is dry for 24 hours before you put it in the tank. also while siliconing you should not even be near your aquarium because of the amonia or something that comes from the uncured silicone. also should be in a well ventilated area. it will stink. and the fumes are bad for you, i think you would have to be working with the uncured silicone for years for it too be bad for you.

• 3 months later...