2 groups of fry in one tank?

johnsmith

I have two holding females that are about 10 days apart. I have one ten gallon set up for the fry. I plan on putting a divider in there to keep the second female from eating the first batch of fry, however, would the first group be old enough to eat the second if they're a couple of weeks older?

Both females are yellows labs and while I'm confident their fry would look better than most I see in stores, based on their parents, I'm only planning on raising up a few for a friend and to experience the process.

Unfortunately the second female is better looking than the first so it's the second batch I would really want to keep if I had to choose. On the other hand, this is a first for both females so I'll probably be lucking to end up with any the first time around, right?

I agree I have two different kinds in 1 tank and they are obout 3 weeks apart and didnt have any problems. I did keep a good eye on them at first but as soon as everyone was free swimming all was good

Okay good, I'll put the second mother in after the first has lost interest in her fry and has been taken out.

The two females are in my 40g mixed malawi.

If the fry survive then once they're big enough my plan is to give a few to a friend and then I'll probably put the rest back in the main tank to fend for themselves. Maybe I'll give them to one of our New World friends who like to make videos of their american cichlids chomping down on africans :w00t: :lol:

If they look really good then I'd consider other optoins.

Thanks for you input everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had 3 different fish in a 33 gal first to spit was otopharynx heterodon,a day later taiwon reef . I then removed the first 2 females . Fossorochromis rostratus was the last to spit and when I went too close to the tank she'd suck up all of the fry she could fit into her mouth including those that weren't even hers . At first I thought she was eating them but a few minutes later she spit them all out . Talk about weird . I haven't seen that in the 14 yrs I've been keeping fish.

'