Snail ID

Ishkabod

I picked up some snails at the frag fest this summer. They are very nearly identical in everything to the zebra snails at Big Al's in edmonton BUT the lines aren't jagged but straight. I took one to the ACE meeting and the best i could get was a general ID of a Nerite snail. I can't remember what the lady that sold them to me called them. She told me they were similar to the ones at Big Als.

I really really LOVE these snails as they are EVERYTHING i wanted in a snail.

Eggs are easy to see and remove if you want to cut down on the population. They seem to like to lay them on the glass of the tank.

The snails burrow into the sand so it keeps it airated so i don't have to worry as much about stirring the sand in my new 80 Gallon tank.

Any help with Identifying these snails is appreciated. If only there was a database with Picture ID.

Thanks

L

I picked up some snails at the frag fest this summer. They are very nearly identical in everything to the zebra snails at Big Al's in edmonton BUT the lines aren't jagged but straight. I took one to the ACE meeting and the best i could get was a general ID of a Nerite snail. I can't remember what the lady that sold them to me called them. She told me they were similar to the ones at Big Als.

I really really LOVE these snails as they are EVERYTHING i wanted in a snail.

Eggs are easy to see and remove if you want to cut down on the population. They seem to like to lay them on the glass of the tank.

The snails burrow into the sand so it keeps it airated so i don't have to worry as much about stirring the sand in my new 80 Gallon tank.

Any help with Identifying these snails is appreciated. If only there was a database with Picture ID.

Thanks

L

Maybe Asolene spixi. They are similar to apple snails. I have some in a couple of my planted tanks.

frag fest?, what was that, where was it, and how did you find out about it?

was it only fresh water or salt too?

It was near the end of August at Blue World Aquatics. I think it was primarily salt but Henry was one of the sponsors so there might have been some fresh stuff.

Could you get a pic? Or give a description of it? color, size, shape of shell, etc.

There are a few variations of nerite snails(olive, spotted, zebra) but I've never seen them bury themselves in the sand and they need brackish conditions to reproduce so you dont' need to worry about their eggs. So if yours are breeding in your tank they probably aren't nerites.

I thought so... Now i need a picture.... they do have the same shell shape as the apple snail. They are brown and dark brown stripped.

They tend to eat their own eggs so unless there is allot of breeding going on all at once the chances of babies are slim to none. Not to mention pleccos seem to love to gobble them up too.

I'm working on a picture now but camera problems as usual are causing an issue. I'll get one posted asap.

Thanks again

L