fry eating

neely

are there any africans out there that are generally fry friendly? What i am looking for are fish that dont tend to eat fry. any species that you guys can recommend. I am thinking about this after i saw mbuna ron's demansoni's all living together with no issues, adult and fry.

Edited by neely

i have 5 brichardi in a community tank(mixed with other cichlids) and the brichardi

are raising there own fry all the time... have had a few actually grow up in the 55g

tank... very protective parents. they may be smaller but have tons of personality.

so i will recomend Neolamprologus Brichardi.... from Lake Tanganyika :thumbs:

The demansoni's are a wonderful mbuna to keep. They are quite aggressive, yet don't seem to pursue their fry to the same extent as others. I have over 30 in my 90 gallon and often see fry venture daringly from the shale. Perhaps the combination of having a large tank, lots of shale, and lots of demansoni give them a sense of security. Also, I have pseudo. msobo magunga in this tank. I am hoping that they will produce fry soon and am wondering how the demans :rolleyes: oni will react to them.

In my fry tank I have mixed demansoni with electric yellow and dolphin fry. So far so good.

Tangs IME are generally better for not eating their own and others fry. I've got a tank full of J. marlieri 'Gombe' that is constantly producing and always need to be thinned. And as far as Malawians go, mbuna are generally less efficient at predating fry than Haps, so with plently of hiding spots for fry I find that some always survive in the nooks and crannies of my tank (even in my WC mbuna tank).

Good luck with it!