flourecent lights...Do you have to buy at LPS?

troutmaster

I have been experimenting with different lighting lamp combos on my 90 gal. I have plants in the tank which seem to be doing quite well. I have the "All-glass Aquarium" fixtures (a two lamp and one lamp) I used the lamps which came with the fixture for a while. Then I bought a wide specturm lamp form Totem. Too red. Then I bought a "power glow" $28 , not as bright as the lamps that origianlly came with the fixtures but my plants seemed to like it. Now I bought a 6500K, T8 lamp full spectrum, for $8 bucks. Kind of has a blue/green glow. I here this is the best for plants. But without going out and spending big bucks on hiag output lighting system. What would be the best combination to show off colour of fish and keep the plants happy? I have decided not to buy any more lamps from pet stores as I can get good lamps for almost 1/3 the cost of what the LPS want. Any advice?

(note:Bright lights, a lighting store in Calgary is supposed to be able to get any lighting you need. Thats where I got the $8 lamp)

i like using the regular Daylight bulbs you get at revy or home depot. I have tried a few LFS bulbs and never really liked the look of them. Plus they cost a fortune. The last one i tried was a 50/50 bulb. I found it very dark and it didn't do much for my fish's color.

• 2 months later...

OH yes. since I don't have plants. I do not have direct lighting on the fish tanks.

All lighting is incedential. > 45 degree offset / from a distance. moderate light. Natural sunlight fills the room. Electrical lighting is to support the dim times.