Preperation for breeding

Bluecan

I am trying to breed some Texas cichlids and I have read in several places that along with water changes varying and increasing the food supply will help a lot to trigger breeding and get the fish conditioned ....live foods have been heavily suggested as well, however I am not willing to risk introducing any unwanted pathogens nor am i in a position to grow my own worm cultures etc. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use, or even a known safe source of live food?

When I was feeding my flowerhorns live food, I had a 15gal tank that I kept feeder minnows in.(yes I did quarantine the minnows before feeding). Some people may think I was retarded, but I made sure they were well fed, healthy and the fish had to work to catch them.

Live foods are not necessary, but if want to feed larger live foods not capable of introducing pathogens you can try some of the insect foods intended for reptiles, like crickets, superworms (large mealworms), etc. Another way to increase the protein and overall nutrition to your prospective breeders is to feed thawed frozen krill.

I have had a large number of fish (cichlids, cats, livebearers, inverts, etc) breed with a diet of nothing more than NLS. When I wanted to make sure they were conditioned I increased how often I fed the fish (3+ small feedings as opposed to 1-2 normal feedings).

WCs can help too. I am in the habit of doing 50% weekly WCs, but sometimes I'll do closer to 80% to induce spawning.