L46 zebra

dpaul

Wasn't there a guy in Alberta a few years ago that was breeding Hypancistrus Zebra(L46)?? whatever happened to him?? are there still any tank raised fish of his around?? I think with all the rumours of that pleco being placed on the endangered list, and the super-high prices, it would be nice if more hobbiests were breeding it ;)

I believe atleast one of the guy's you are referring to lived in St.Albert, He was selling alot to Dad's fishroom and I remember prices of $35.00. He moved to another country and sold his fish to Michael Pham the new Aquarium Club of Edmonton president. I am very doubtful that Michael has spawned them. You could always stop in at Big Al's and ask as he is the fishroom manager.

dpaul

You are refering to Mr. B. Roberts. The first person to ever breed this zebra.

He was published in TFH. And the A.C.E. newsletter published the method.

His work takes him around the world. - thus not much time for his hatchery, anymore.

Bob did sell a number of fry to ACE members/and Henry.

HTH.

Smokey

• 3 months later...

Hello. I think I just bought 24 of Mr. Robert's fish. The shop (in Edmonton) I bought them from said they had to pick them up from their breeder (Roberts) in Edmonton. They said he has raised over 1000 fry. So it must be him. They said he was very busy. I just got these fish last week, so he must still be close by and raising them. And they are very beautiful I might add! :D

Yes I caught Gabriel on his cell and went on the wait list too.

He wants to move them in larger lots 10 and up. So if thats the case maybe we

could get a group buy going I would want 3 or 4 at most.

He said could be another 2 or 3 weeks before they reach shipping size.

Tom

Argh. Have to re-do this. I previewed my post, and clicked back to correct something and it was all GONE. Have to do this all over again! :wacko:

Oh, and HI DAVID!! The website he listed is where I got my Zebras from. At CAN$40 each! They were sold to me in a September "sale" as young adults. Half are monsters and half are smaller. Got some very big males. Very healthy and beautiful!! :smilebig:

I am sure I got Mr. Roberts stock...some of it. I got 24 of them...all that were available at gsaquaticinc. I cleaned them out. Their water was ph 7.8. This will shock you, but I put them in my water that is pH8.5!! And if they breed, you will all know as I have proven I have a big mouth and the world will hear!

I acclimatized them for 4 hours by dripping...mostly cuz I knew my pH was a concern. They would not eat for the first 3 days. (I've only had them a week I think) Just last night, I put in a whole block of blood worms and a few shrimp pellets. This morning, ALL food was gone! And I found some poo!

Tank set up:

You will be shocked at what I'm doing.

Because I keep running into delays getting my fish room built, I resorted to going down to my Farm Mart in town and picked up an 85 gal LIVESTOCK tub. It is safe for fish. It is black and oval in shape. I have:

3 x 4plus Fluvals

2 large sponge filters

4 x air curtains

Tons of decorations. Clay caves, reptile caves, rocks, etc Piece of Mopani wood but I know I don't need it.

Also, because my tub is black, (I have an opaque plastic lid) and if I cover it with a blanket, my Zebras COULD be in 24 darkness. But I don't think I need to do that and doubt it's that good for them anyway.

No other fish or anything in this tub. Tub cycling since Aug 1.

I have it so that the current flows around the tub. The middle of the tub is calm and bare...this is where I can put food down and it doesn't drift away. I can tell if it's there in the morning if they are eating or not. And like I said, this morning there was NOTHING! Not even a trace.

At first, they all just hid anywhere...behind my filters, lowest points possible. Now I see the males have selected their caves. When I fed them last, one big male poked his head out and watched me. Cool.

I have much more to tell, but I don't want to bore anyone and have to go anyway. I can provide more info if you ask.

I even got a little guy that has unique markings...instead of a band of black across his head, he looks like a racoon! Neat.