python water change system

Bluecan

I realize that these systems make it easier for dumping water by going directly to your sink or drain , but as for refilling your aquarium wouldnt you still have to use buckets due to the fact that you have to treat your tap water before it goes in your tank anyways? Obviously this still cuts down on the amount of work for draining and not running the buckets of water from the your washroom but its still not truly a 'bucket-free' system, or is there a way around this?

I realize that these systems make it easier for dumping water by going directly to your sink or drain , but as for refilling your aquarium wouldnt you still have to use buckets due to the fact that you have to treat your tap water before it goes in your tank anyways? Obviously this still cuts down on the amount of work for draining and not running the buckets of water from the your washroom but its still not truly a 'bucket-free' system, or is there a way around this?

Just add prime for the whole volume of the tank, reverse the flow and eyeball the temperature....you will get very good at being a thermometer :rolleyes:

J

Just add prime for the whole volume of the tank, reverse the flow and eyeball the temperature....you will get very good at being a thermometer :rolleyes:

J

Yep, this is how I do it. I add the prime as I add the water to the tank. You add enough prime to treat for the entire tank volume, not just the water volume changed. I add about half at the beginning and then the rest as I'm filling. I use the "finger method" for checking the temp :)

One little, big thing to watch for that I read about a while ago on this forum.......

Make sure the new water going in the tank is not flowing directly to the intake for the filter. The prime works great by just adding to the tank BUT I guess it happened before to someone that they think the chlorinated, new water went straight into their filter without the prime working fast enoughg....they killed off the bacteria in the filter and had tragic results.

Keep in mind that Prime is rated for 4 mg/l of chloramine, so in Edmonton (which uses 2 mg/l of chloramine) 1 cap full of Prime will treat 100 gallons of tap water, not 50 gallons as stated on the Prime container. Whether one needs to treat for the entire tank volume, or just the water they are replacing is also questionable.

I've known people who use Prime but don't add every time they change the water. They've stated there have been no problems doing it this way. I forgot to add it once to my cichlid tank before I refilled it and ended up loosing a fish so I add it every time.

Chloramine kills fish, simple as that.

With chlorine treated tap water, and smaller water changes, there's a bit more room for error.

Chlorine can dissipate out of solution fairly quickly, chloramine can remain active for weeks.

If you have a sprayer attachment on your sink that is an easy way to regard the temp @ any given time. LCD thermometers are like $2.00 why not have it exact? You can also crack the end dump open to reverse flow and check temp.

P1120566.jpg