have some filter questions

bigb1112

i am thinking of getting a used ehiem pro 2227 it is a good price and comes with some of the media it will be going on my 110 gallon tank witch has a rena xp3 on it right now the rena will be staying there it is just so i have extra filtration

i have never had a ehiem and was woundering if they are loud as it will be going into the living room of my house.

also with the filter being used what is the best way to clean it so as not to contaminate my tank cuz the tank has my group of wild caught tropheus in it and also should i be getting all new media or can i clean the media that comes with it

or would it be best to just buy a new filter

Ehiems are super quiet, and can last forever! If you can find a good price on a used one, go for it.

In your situation, having some expensive fish, I'd rinse the media pretty well before putting it on your tank.

I run an ehiem 2229 and the nice thing about a wet dry filter is that you don't really have to clean it. the wet dry are mainly used for biological filtration. so, if you are only running biological media, then your golden.

I clean my 2229 once every 6-8 months and its only when the flow rate drops off. a quick rinse of the media and canister and you're good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

i am thinking of getting a used ehiem pro 2227 it is a good price and comes with some of the media it will be going on my 110 gallon tank witch has a rena xp3 on it right now the rena will be staying there it is just so i have extra filtration

i have never had a ehiem and was woundering if they are loud as it will be going into the living room of my house.

also with the filter being used what is the best way to clean it so as not to contaminate my tank cuz the tank has my group of wild caught tropheus in it and also should i be getting all new media or can i clean the media that comes with it

or would it be best to just buy a new filter

The cost of new filter media is nothing compared to what it may cost you if it introduces a problem into your tank. The replacement cost of fish & the purchase of medicine far exceed what little benefit you may see. You can always rinse the filter it self with a lite water & bleach solution, followed by a good rinse with water only. The Ehiem filters are quiet, excellent quality filters, you made a good choice getting it. Don't make a mistake to save a few dollars on new media.