Stocking a 10 Gallon?

NomiDemekin

I have a ten gallon now holding two bettas (with a divider, of course) and a handful of red crystal shrimp. I'll be moving the two bettas to their own tanks (To better treat one with tail-biting and recurring fin rot), and I'm toying with the idea of a small planted community tank. Though I'm still not sure what I want to stock it with. I was thinking about galaxy rasboras. Or Rummy noses. Or Honey Gouramis. Or rams. Or... or... well, you see my problem. Obviously with such a small tank I'll only be able to keep a few fish. Any and all suggestions are absolutely welcome.

I would suggest make it densely planted and make a south american biotope and put 4 or 5 rams in there. A couple of otos and a couple of corys and thats it. The reason I am not saying rasboras or rummy noses is that I like these fishes in a shoal, and if they are in a shoal of 20 or 30, they move together and look awesome. However, a 10 gallon is too small to accomodate all those fishes, hence the suggestion of rams. Rams are fascinating to watch and have gorgeous colours

I agree with making it densely planted but 4 or 5 rams in a 10 gallon would be way too much in my opinion. One or 2 at the most. A breeding pair would be most ideal. I have 7 Bolivian rams in my 58 gallon and find that they are pretty ground territorial. A pair that started breeding took over 2/3 of my tank which stressed out the other 5 rams and displaced them to one side of the tank. It was entertaining to watch though.

Hmm... I think I am really liking the idea of a breeding pair of rams. I do love me some rummies, but with further thought on the subject it would be better to wait until I can have a larger tank to better house a nice big school.

How does this sound?

A pair of rams.

2 otos.

3 cories.

And my little shrimp colony. How are rams with shrimp though?

Hmm... I think I am really liking the idea of a breeding pair of rams. I do love me some rummies, but with further thought on the subject it would be better to wait until I can have a larger tank to better house a nice big school.

How does this sound?

A pair of rams.

2 otos.

3 cories.

And my little shrimp colony. How are rams with shrimp though?

Corys do best in bigger groups. C. hastatus (or one of the other dwarf species) would do well with a group of 6-10 in a well planted 10gal.

I have a couple bolivian red rams in with about 8 ghost shrimp and the rams don't touch them. But every fish is different. If the shrimp can easily fit into the mouths of the rams, consider them a source of food, or mouth entertainment.

I have rams and cardinals in a heavily planted tank with shrimp in it. The larger shrimp for the most part are ok, but the smaller ones are instant food. It's all trial and error, take the chance. If your shrimp get eaten maybe the rams will spawn.