Rena Xp4

jonnytens

Im not a fan. I have seen several start randomly start leaking. I think its the main seal ring that gets pinched b/c ever time its happend, and this is on more then one filter, I take it apart and put it back together and it starts working fine. They are less user friendly then the Eheims or the Marinelands. I find 85% of the time I service one I curse at it. Many people love them but I find most of those people have never used any thing ells or are comparing them to the older fluvals. The Renas do not come with Biological filtration so if you are going to buy a Rena I recommend that you buy the Substrat Pro from Ehiem. But if your spending extra money on the filter media you should spend it on a Ehiem filter that comes with every thing, is more reliable (in my opinion), and more user friendly.

One argument that people are going to make against the Eheim is its Flowrate. I have a XP3 (350gph) and a 2028 (277gph) running on the same tank and I find that that Eheim is pushing more.

The GPH that is shown on the box is the gph WITH OUT MEDIA!! Rena focuses more on mechanical filtration then Eheim where Eheim focuses more on the Biological. The extra sponges in the Rena reduse the flowrate dramatically more then what gets redused in the Eheim.

Thats my two cents.

I have 4 of the XP 3 filters 3 fluvals, a magnum hot and a chinese knock off of an eheim. I'll take the renas any time over the rest. The only issue I've ever had with the renas is the o-rings on the valve bodies getting compressed and leaking, but at 10c each at Canadian Tire I find it rather minor.

I have 4 of the XP 3 filters 3 fluvals, a magnum hot and a chinese knock off of an eheim. I'll take the renas any time over the rest. The only issue I've ever had with the renas is the o-rings on the valve bodies getting compressed and leaking, but at 10c each at Canadian Tire I find it rather minor.

how long does it take for the o rings to get compressed.....should a guy replace them yearly to be safe?

I ran the Rena XP3 on one of my aquariums for about a year and have had nothing but problems:

Difficult to prime

Inconsistent impeller operation

Leaking from motor head

Defective valve 0-rings (leaking)

Very frustrating to deal with. After contacting the retailer, whom I will not mention, and the manufacturer directly I still did not receive much help or product support.

I switched to a Fluval 405 and am very happy with the performance. I notice that most reputable stores sell them and parts availability and warranty is not an issue.

Seriously looking at the Fluval G6 as my next upgrade......

how long does it take for the o rings to get compressed.....should a guy replace them yearly to be safe?

The 2 that have done this were previously owned so I'm not sure how long they take. But I've had them 4 a couple of years as well.