Anyone growing emersed plants?

fleshgear

i have recently started an emersed setup, and like my fish tanks the setup is mutiplying within a month i now have 3 setups.

i have 2 in those plant starter trays with a high dome and 1 is in a 15 gallon tall tank with a glass top

i have a dual 48" T8 light above the setups. Most of the plants are planted in a pot with rockwool for the substrate. i have also started trying potting soil for a few.

for fertilizers i am using the recommended ferts for a hydroponic setup, with the exclusion of a few of the really expensive ones that are not really important. i change the water once a week with new water/fert mix. the ph is 6.0 There is about 1/2 inch of water in each setup. With the lids on, the humidity stay around 80%

the plants that i am trying are... a few types of echinodorus, a few types of anubias, java fern, a few types of cryptocorynes, pogostemon helfri, ludwigia, bacopa, and some of the pots i surround the top with java moss (for appearance)

so far most of the plants are growing great, especially the anubias, crypts, java fern, java moss,

i am hoping that i can get these to flower.

IMG_9664.jpg

IMG_9681.jpg

IMG_9678.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9675.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

IMG_9673.jpg

IMG_9667.jpg

here is the ferts that i am using

IMG_9697.jpg

Edited by fleshgear

There were a couple guys doing emersed set-ups. Check the Journals - I believe it was Kayen and Devcole.

Werner, no!! Fleshgear, those plants look really good and I'm thinking of trying that myself(once I take care of my dying houseplants!!).

I got 2 emersed setups. My 7.2g custom, which a journal can be found in the journals section, but i haven't paid attention to it.

As well as a 2.5g with random plants ( anubias, java ferns, e tenellus, more hc, glosso, and some crpyts -> sorry no pics of it at the moment) .

Ferts aren't really required if you're using a wellfed substrate.

I got 2 emersed setups. My 7.2g custom, which a journal can be found in the journals section, but i haven't paid attention to it.

As well as a 2.5g with random plants ( anubias, java ferns, e tenellus, more hc, glosso, and some crpyts -> sorry no pics of it at the moment) .

Ferts aren't really required if you're using a wellfed substrate.

what is a wellfed substrate? i am sure that the topsoil that i have in some of the pots has nutrition for the plants, but the rockwool is used only as a way to hold the roots and get the water to the roots.

yeah topsoil will be plenty of nutrients, just ferts are more needed IMO when one is using plain inert substrate during hte process, and isn't preloaded with tons of goodies.

Using ADA aquasoil i don't really need to use ferts on my end on my 7.2g.