Haplochromis sp. "Ruby" + Mikrogeophagus ramirezi = FIGHT!

Shai

I picked up five ruby greens (2m/3f) the other night and introduced them to my 55g community tank. The dominant male has taken a rather strong dislike to my dominant female German Blue Ram (and vice versa). Sheba (the GBR) is the smaller fish, but she's stubborn and doesn't realize yet she's lost the argument, even though her tail is shredded and she's had a bite taken out of her face. : ( I have another smaller female GBR too and the male ruby doesn't like her much either but hasn't been able to catch her yet.

It's only been a couple of days, so I'm wondering if they just still need some time to settle down or if I should be proactive and take the GBRs out now? I'd be particularly pissed if these females ended up dead.

If I should take them out, anybody got a 20g long they'd care to sell or trade to me? : )

No 20 gallon tank to help you out...but sure would take that bad boy and his group off your hands :hey:

The male is only pestering the rams (and the other male ruby), who are all pestering him back. This tank has always had its fair share of aggression--everyone in it is bossy and they all get in each other's faces from time to time. That's nothing new for me.

Never having kept these fish before, I just want to know if the male is likely to settle down and just get into the occasional squabbles like everyone else does. I did consult with Patrick about my current stock before getting the ruby greens; this wasn't an out of the blue purchase. Right now the male is also very intent on coaxing his females into the little love nest he's claimed, and so far none of them are terribly interested, which adds to his frustration.

I have a spare 33g I was going to turn into a betta barracks but if this horny bugger stays horny I'll make the 33g into a GBR haven instead.

Today the dominant male is much calmer, seemingly for no reason. He's guarding his love nest and only pestering fish who come too close, which I would naturally expect. Only change is that last night I did some minor pruning.

Of course, this is also after I went through the trouble to set up the 33g again. I might still move the rams (and possibly the sub ruby male) anyway.