DIY CO2

strayner

I'm likely to be using the DIY CO2 method with my 29 gallon which will me modestly planted.

If I used baking soda (in conjuction with the hard water in edmonton) will it really cause big pH swings in my water? Does anyone have any advice how to make it as safe as possible? Or is it pretty safe?

Thank you!

I use DIY co2 on my 20g planted tank and I don't use baking soda at all. Never had a problem with pH swings. But then again I don't really measure for ph all that often, I just use tap water.

Even with my canister co2 I haven't had any issues with ph swings causing problems

I wouldn't worry about it. Add a couple DIY bottles to your tank and it will be fine.

Thanks for the replies. One more question - do I need to watch for co2 going above 35 ppm with the DIY method with two 2 liters? My guess is that it would be unlikely with inefficient diffusion and the amount of surface agitation that will take place it my tank.

Not likely to cause problems.

As a recovering test kit addict I can relate. If you have a test kit by all means use it as often as you like. Observations are a great way to learn and discover the 'secrets '.

To make it as safe as possible fasten your bottles so as they can not tip over. Is a difference between ' will not tip over' and 'can not tip over' When you have secured it - give it a kick to see if it ' will not tip over '

Tipping will cause a mess and a disaster.

The only other advise I would give ( having built a few myself ) no connectors in the tubing

run a single pce. starting @ the end thats stuffed through the cap all the way to the output no connections

If you can seal the cap you have it made.

For finer bubbles put a glob of glue / silicone in the output, then poke a pinhole in the tube = micro bubbles & longer lasting output times.

Does bottle size affect anything other than how long the co2 lasts? How big for a 5.5 gallon if it does matter? And I assume you adjust the mixture accordingly with bottle size. And can it be ran through a HOB or would you just lose it all? I keep my water level above the bottom so there is no fall. Other option is to just bubble it in.

Edited by timbruun

I've used up to a 4L bottle, and just increased the sugar and bicarb accordingly - the yeast doesn't have to be increased, as they'll multiply anyway. If you can get a 5.5gal w. a screw-top lid, give it a shot. If you can't keep the lid screwed on, there's a chance that you'll have a yeasty mess behind your tank.

If you have no fish in the tank, then bubbling CO2 into your filter is fine; however, if you do have fish, I'd get a small powerhead and plug it into a timer w. your lights and bubble the CO2 into that. Running CO2 24/7 on a 5.5 could end up super-saturating the tank and cause CO2 poisoning for your fish.

In a DIY CO2 setup, the CO2 will run 24/7 - this is why you want the powerhead to only run with the lights on. The powerhead will disperse a fine mist of CO2 that the plants love, and at night the CO2 will just bubble out w/out the fine dispersion. Feed the CO2 into the intake of the powerhead.

• 2 weeks later...

I am running 2 x 2 litres (2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, no baking soda) on my 90 gallon, running through two Hagen Elite Mini submersible filters. Had no issues and excellent plant growth. Each solution lasts for 3 weeks before I have to remix a new batch. I don't replace both at the same time.

When I make my reactor bottle, I drill a hole that is the same size as the inside of my tubing diameter. That way I can pull the tubing through the top using a pair of pliers. No need for silicone sealant and it doesn't leak. I have had it running like this for a long time. If you think there is a leak then replace the tubing going into the bottle.

I also run a check valve just to be safe. But mind you, my bottles are sitting on top of my tank.

Running the line into a power head or a HOB diffuser method is also effective. Some people stick an airstone or wooden chopsticks into the end of the airline. Never tried it. If the silicone method works to disperse smaller bubbles then awesome.

However, If you are using this on a 5 gallon, you might rather pick up a bottle of Seachem Flourish Excel. It would be better to have full control over how much co2 is going into your tank.

I have tried mixing this in a 5 gallon Culligan bottle before and it lasts just as long. The key is your recipe. Some people do this with juice and yeast to make wine. A double bonus.

Edited by Kronosdelsol