Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

CooFish

There is a process involved:

1: you need a male EBJD and a regular female Jack Dempsey to spawn.

2: then you have to grow out the resulting fry, called blue gene jacks as they have the recessive gene for the Electric Blue.

3: finally you have to breed the original male EBJD to one of the resulting female blue gene jacks. I think this will give you about 25% ebjd's which you will have to remove as they will be picked on by the regular jacks.

This does take a while and tank space. I think Jonas is in the process of breeding them right now.

by jonah's he meant fatpuffer on here..

normal jacks do get bigger and overall tend to be more aggressive and healthier(thats why if you get to the point of having actual blue fry you must remove them from the others), raising EBJD's to a mature size can be a bit of a challenge. If you are serious about this project and sticking to it, i would suggest getting in touch with others that are doing the same thing, the blue gene carriers are very valuable and obviously with this process inbreeding becomes an issue so having others bloodlines availible from the unrelated females they bring in that the blue males are bred to is a good thing to help strengthen the fish and gene pool overall as this seems to be the major issue cropping up with the EBJD.. good luck!

Hi there. Right now I've only produced BGJD, thus far. I really do not have time to do any breeding as my wife is due in a couple of months here. I've culled many BGJD through natural selection...pretty much survival of the fittest. The ones I have are by far one of the best looking (shape wise) JD I've ever owned.

What stage of breeding are you in? Do you have decent size EBJD's yet? at least 4 inches?

EBJD can be as aggressive as teh normal ones. Especially when 4+ inches. As for inbreeding and crossbreeding...PM Neil and ask him for the articles he forwarded me. I cannot seem to find it.

Neil: Do you mind forwarding it to me again re: inline and cross out breeding please.

Thank you.

Jonah

My EBJD's are young. I want them to grow together. Mine are around 3in.

I'm really new to this site,so I don't really get your last post:

EBJD can be as aggressive as the normal ones. Especially when 4+ inches. As for inbreeding and crossbreeding...PM Neil and ask him for the articles he forwarded me. I cannot seem to find it.

Neil: Do you mind forwarding it to me again re: inline and cross out breeding please.

Hi there. Right now I've only produced BGJD, thus far. I really do not have time to do any breeding as my wife is due in a couple of months here. I've culled many BGJD through natural selection...pretty much survival of the fittest. The ones I have are by far one of the best looking (shape wise) JD I've ever owned.

What stage of breeding are you in? Do you have decent size EBJD's yet? at least 4 inches?

EBJD can be as aggressive as teh normal ones. Especially when 4+ inches. As for inbreeding and crossbreeding...PM Neil and ask him for the articles he forwarded me. I cannot seem to find it.

Thank you.

Jonah

Jonah, are you looking at selling any of your BGJD's. I am still hoping to breed some BG's. no luck yet. But I would buy some of your if you decide to sell.

Irene

Buying BGJD can be tricky as many breeders do protect their stock. Be careful and only buy from reputable breeder as there is no way to tell the difference between bgjd and regular jd until they breed and you look at the offspring.

It will be cheaper and more beneficial for all of us if you and guzoo breed your own bgjd. Takes a bit of patience but they will eventually do the deed. Then we can all benefit with trades to increase bloodlines.

Tips for breeding:

1. Clean water

2. Mine likes the tanin coloured water...they seem to be less skittish.

3. Dimmer lighting

4. Feed high protein diet i.e. shrimp pieces prior to a bigger 30-50% water change with cooler water.

5. Ensure that they have a cave or terra cotta pot for laying eggs.

6. Dither fish worked well for me...I put in giant danios and that tend to get the pair going.

Hope this helps.

Jonah

To quote myself from a previous discussion lol ......

Jonah - you have just as good a chance of getting healthy fry by breeding your juvies back to the parents/or themselves (inbreeding) as you do breeding them to unrelated fish. (outcrossing) It's a roll of the dice no matter what you do, and you won't know what the overall quality of the fry will be until you see the end results. In other words, simply outcrossing a fish is not a guarantee to better quality offspring. Inbreeding is widely misunderstood in this hobby.

Please see the comments by Damian (Number6) in the following link.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=167919

thanks for that neil...I was looking for that link. I do understand what you were saying...thus, I am waiting for them to pair up. I will do A LOT of culling once I do get fry as I only want the strongest ones. Same As I did with this ones 6 from 500+ fry I kept, the rest was food. The second time around...I kept ten out of a bigger batch...now down to 6 again...lucky number eh!

Jonah

ahhh the inbreeding topic, comes up in any type of breeding and there is always a lot to be said. thats a good link though RD, you always have so much information. I guess at the end of the day if you can know your bloodlines and traits throughout the pedigree of the animals to be bred inbreeding or outcrossing in itself isnt right or wrong. I think the idea for each of them to create their own bloodline and then be availible to eachother if they want and/or need to outcross to eachothers lines is a good way to go about it especially when most people have limited tank space.I like the comments on that thread about allowing the fish to choose their own mates as well. Sooo tempted to get involved in the EBJD they were my original interest when i got more serious about the fish world, but being fairly new i decided to opt out due their cost and difficulty level. good luck on your projects!