Filter options for my 180?

punman

Holy :cuss:

Sorry punman.......when I chimed in about the Eheim 2260, I was thinking purely practicality and not price tag.

Big Al's online has the 2260 for......are you ready for this? $529.99

As well, it comes without media. :boxed:

For that price it should be self-cleaning, feed your fish, and do water changes. LOL!

The Doc B)

Fair enough. A couple of things to consider, IME...

180g is 72x24x24 (usually)

Overflow would be about 6x6, maybe smaller, in a rear corner

Overflow doesn't significantly reduce the tank footprint

Filtration is MUCH better, and cheaper, for a tank that size

Maintainance after setup is far less than HOB or cannister (HOB I know from experience, cannister is only what I've been told)

Water volume in system is significantly increased, ie. 55g sump on 180g tank means you can run about another 30g of water volume.

Just some thoughts

Mike

Another thing to keep in mind punman,

Don't go spend the $$$ on a pre-fab sump in some aquarium store. They are far too costly for what you get.

Use the experience of our members here to build a DIY bio-tower and sump. We are all willing to help out however we can.

Doc_Polit B)

Edited by Doc_Polit

I'd definitely agree with canuckle.  After seeing his sump setup, I know I'll be doing the same thing when I finally get some larger tanks.

Finally got the canopy done, with the T5 lights...you should see it now!! We're pretty happy with it!

punman, any of us that have done sumps would be happy to help. tc51 is actually coming to my place soon to see the setup, and I'll be helping him get his going. Not that I'm any big expert or anything, but having done it a couple of times now, I can tell him what NOT to do!

Edited by canuckle