nitraaaaaaates

Bluecan

hey guys, so my ammonia and nitrite levels are fine, however my nitrate levels in all of my tanks are through the roof, and i dont really know what to do, I read that prime will help deal with high nitrates, so can i just add some, if so how much and it will bring my levels down? or does it just change it to a less harmful nitrate but will still show high levels in my test? please help! this isnt good for my fry..

hey guys, so my ammonia and nitrite levels are fine, however my nitrate levels in all of my tanks are through the roof, and i dont really know what to do, I read that prime will help deal with high nitrates, so can i just add some, if so how much and it will bring my levels down? or does it just change it to a less harmful nitrate but will still show high levels in my test? please help! this isnt good for my fry..

water changes

Prime will detoxify the ammonia and nitrites, but i don't think it does anything to the nitrates.

water changes are good for a fry tank, keeps the waste from accumulating and keeps the environment clean so that the fry have the best chance to be healthy and grow. i've read that high nitrate levels can lead to stunted fish.

What is your water change schedule now?

Water changes should be done frequently. Ideally weekly especially on highly stocked tanks. More frequently on fry and growout tanks. I change 25-50% each 7-14days on most of my tanks and on my fry tanks I do 10-20% changes 2-3 times a week to get them to grow quickly. Clean water and multiple small daily feedings will help your fry grow faster.

If you have nitrates you need to start increasing your water changes, either in size or frequency.

i am going to look into the plant thing i guess, i really have no interest myself in keeping them, but if they help i may have to. Will i absolutelyn eed to upgrade my bulbs? and what type of plants and how many would be the easiest to deal with/affordable that would help me?

thanks!

submerged plants have their own problems like lack of co2. Find a plant that can grow with the aerial advantage(above water) which will give it the free co2 available in the air. I have kept bamboo and some houseplants in pots in my tank just by leaving the bottom dipped in.

You can add some low light floating plants (e.g., duckweed, hornwort, watersprite, guppy weed). They suck excess nitrate nutrients pretty good, but you still need to do the water changes frequently.

Alternatively, if you can find some Mangrove or Willow branch, that would work well also. Upgrading your light bulb will depend on how many plants you put in.

Find some horwort or some real bamboo, I can't think of the name for the life of me right now. I have some in my sump and it eats up nitrates no problem. Did you double test your nitrates? Sometimes it gives you a false reading. Smaller waterchanges will be easier on will be easier on the fry too.