wild caught vampire and zebra pleco

JLake

I would think that your biggest problem would the petricola out competing your plecos for food. Personally I wouldn't keep plecos in a tank that had petricola, unless the plecos were strictly for algae control, which yours obviously are not. Petricolas are simply too quick for most plecos, and both fish are most active when the lights go out. When you factor in the rest of the fish in that tank, it leaves little in the way of food for the slower, less active, plecos.

HTH

Tore down my tank today for some early spring cleaning. Mostly to look for my vampire and zebra. Great news found them both and they look great the zebra pleco must of put on a quarter to half a inch. They were both hiding in the same cave system. That vampire is a great looking pleco. Thanks to Harold. When I removed all the huge pieces of drift wood where the transcriptus call home. I stirred up lots of dirt. So I sucked up a 5 gallon pail of the really dirty stuff between and under the rocks. The water in the pail was really dark. After I set up the tank again I noticed some transriptus fry on the other side. Some real tiny lil buggers. Who knows how many I sucked up and flushed, I imagine quite a few! I took the julies spawning cave away from them, I guess they found another.

Glad to hear the good news. I have Petricolas in my cichlid tank too but i find that the big common plecco still gets enough food especially if i make sure the petricolas eat during regular feeding time with the other fish aka waaaayyyyy over feed before lights out so there are pockets of leftover food for the plecco and petricolas to gobble up. The tank is an 80 gallon with a similar set up but with the sand the food eventally gets gobbled up and doesn't end up as extra waste. My common plecco loves his algae wafers and will eat the pellets if he can get them but the petricolas don't bother with the wafers unless they haven't eaten that day so the only thing i can think of to do would have been to get some of the larger NLS pellets(sinking)so that the petricolas wouldn't bother with them and the pleccos would have a meal.

Gotta love those Wild caught plecco's I got an adonis plecco.

Have a great day

L

thanks everybody for all the advice. I do plan on eventually giving the pleco a more natural home away from rowdy cichlids and hard high ph water. This vampire pleco got me thinking of a all pleco tank! haha or maybe a all vampire pleco tank!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

All pleco tanks are cool, I have 11 Common plecos 2 of them albino ranging in size from 6-19" in my 240 gallon, with 2 Gold spotted sailfins, 1 Rhino pleco, 19" RTC, 7" Featherfin, 6 Raphael catfish, 4 Oscars, 3 Green Severums, 4 Convicts, 1 Jack Demsey, My 90 gallon has 20 Albino/cross dwarf Bristelnose Plecos, 1 Clown pleco, 1 Leopard Frog pleco, 1 Royal Pleco, 1 Leopard Cactus Pleco, 1 Rubber lip Pleco, 1 Gold spotted sailfin, I love plecos and I want more!

Edited by DivineHammer